Back to school time...A time for the children of the nation to get focused, to start a new year with big dreams, reaching for goals, anticipation is in the air.
Our President, Barak Obama, wants to address the school children of America on September 8. He asked all schools to broadcast his address in which he is going to encourage children to pursue their education, stay in school, dream big... But the protests have started and now few to none of the schools in W. Michigan will be playing the speech. These protesting parents... do they think he is going to convince the kids to vote for his health care plan? That he will talk for 15 minutes about stimulus plans. Seriously people...This is the President of the United States of America! Our President. Here is an example from my life... I did not like G.W.'s 8 years in office. I do not know the man, but I did not agree with his policies and decisions on almost anything, but when he came to Calvin College (my alumni) to give the commencement speech, I was proud. The President of the United States, that is a big stinkin' deal! Can we have enough respect for each other as people to just find some value in everyone. To have some trust and to appreciate what our country believes in? Education for ALL people. This is truly a gift, a luxury some might argue.
A very wise and incredibly brave woman said the following "The highest result of education is tolerance." (Helen Keller, 'Optimism,' 1903)Ironic huh???
So all you protesting parents. What happens when Pete Hoekstra wants to come read a book in your child's classroom. Would that be o.k.? Or should I protest cause I think he is going to teach all my children to bomb Iraq?
What is education all about really? I want my children to go to school to learn new ideas, to think critically. To process ideas with their peers. To be challenged in their values and hold strong. To form their own opinions and be passionate about something. Even if we do not agree with our President, we can challenge ourselves, discuss with others and become a better person. So... For all of us, Left and Right... even all you socialist : ), lets try to meet in the middle. Let's try to respect our differences and at least teach our children by example.
"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other."
~Mother Teresa
2 comments:
Hate to say it Sarah, but I actually have to agree with you....just this one time though.
Amen!
Post a Comment