Tuesday, April 19, 2011

play dates

I consider myself very outgoing and personable. I enjoy talking to people, can present in front of a large audience, and prefer to be with others that spend time alone. But once upon a time I was very shy. I despised new situations and meeting new people. I hid in a bathroom to avoid small talk and interacting with strangers. I would walk out of church immediately to avoid the standing in a corner with coffee trying to look cool...

But I am pretty much over all that, but now I have a new social phobia...Play Dates. This seems to be all the rage these days. And since I am not one of those volunteer every Wed afternoon mom's I really do not know any moms... Basically, I am not in the popular group and those are the mom's that arrange the play dates with their kids.

Every day my poor kindergartner comes home wanting a play date and ever night I sit at the phone afraid to call the mom. I finally talked to one mom at a school event and she said "Oh, I get that all the time. ALL the kids want to play with A..." Well, excuse me for wanting to invite YOUR daughter over for a play date...

So my poor kid is a recluse and friendless cause I am intimidated by other moms. Also why aren't any of those moms calling ME!

3 comments:

Jen V. said...

You can bring your kids over for a play date with my kids anytime. I'm not in the "popular" group of moms either. LOL! :)

the Klein's said...

you can come my way anytime too!Leah and Joey would love to play with your kiddos

Stacey Klein

betsy b said...

I have that same fear of "making the first call" when it has to do with play dates! The worst is when my kid comes home and tells me they are invited to go to a friends' house and they are just waiting for me to call them. Does this make sense? Shouldn't that mom call me if she wants my kid at her house??? I often tell my kids they can play with their friends at school and siblings at home. It doesn't go over well, but it works for me!