Friday, June 3, 2011

Mind Readers

I had this post about parades I was thinking about then I got really bored with it so I gave it up all together, which is fine cause about 5 seconds ago, I got all worked up about a much better issue to share with all of you...




I love technology and am an addict of Facebook and blogs and most likely would be of twitter, but I can not seem to figure it out... I get on bored about 10 years to late (just like I did with suspenders in middle school, tight rolling jeans in high school and big flannel shirts in college...)




I love Google and have my own home page with a quote of the day and 10,000 places to see before you die and weather and a nice banner of prayer flags running across the top banner. I always use it as my search engine cause it just makes me happy. I know that they personalize my search results based on a profile they have based on my previous searches and all that good stuff and I am not bothered by this, in fact I quiet like it! While the rest of the world is worried about Google having all their information, I am just happy I do not have to scroll through dozens of website about Clark Kent, when all I really care about are Clark shoes.

On Facebook the advertising is also "targeted". Yes, I know they know my demographics so the advertisements are usually geared towards a 30 something female and they usually get it wrong. They assume I use coupons, care about cleaning products and want a flat stomach in just 10 days! (well o.k., they were right about that last one). When I was in China, my advertisements were about China, (which is silly cause why do I want a cheap plane ticket to China when I am sitting in Beijing at that moment!)

But lately, on Facebook, I have been a little freaked. I few days ago I made a status update about a dream I had and stated: "What would Freud think?" Well Facebook picked up on this reference to Freud in my status and started giving me advertisements about Frued books and such. Today my status was a quote from a song by Pink "So raise your glass if you are wrong, in all the right ways, all my underdogs...". (Good lyrics right!?!) And then there it was on the side of my page. "Like Pink". Pink CD's.... How did they know this? Why did they not choose "Underdog" to focus on, that is a movie and a character and maybe even more well known than Pink!

Now I am mad cause they are putting me in a box. They are judging me. They are telling me to like something based on one word. Well. I will show them. I will not "like" Pink, nor will I "like" Freud. And just in case I ever go back to China, I will not buy my tickets through the Facebook recommendation. SO THERE!

Maybe I do need that consultation with Freud after all...

1 comment:

Troy and Becky said...

Sarah,
We have a June 23 embassy date, hopefully, we will see you there!
Becky