Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Shoes

"The right shoes can change your life." ~Cinderella
My shoe story starts with my feet. I have really ugly ones. My toes are all overlapping and my feet are the size of boats. I would not wear flip flops my entire teenage years due to my embarrassment of ugly, abnormal feet. Eventually I did start wearing flips yet still hiding the toes when possible. Fast forward to my late 20's. I started having some pretty severe pain in my right foot. I had some x-rays, checked in with my primary dr. and nothing. Finally I broke down to see a podiatrist. Well, this was a great decision since he called my feet NORMAL! I was so happy : ) (Of course he called them normal for a high arched foot, but I just focus on the normal). He also sent me home with a diagnosis of a stress fracture and a lovely walking cast.

So 2 stress fractures, 2 10 week sessions of a boot and 4 years later, I have learned to take good care of my feet. Now rewind a 12 years. I was about to start my senior year of college and I found a pair of Adiddas slide on sandals, IN MY SIZE, for $10. So these sandals stayed with me through college, marriage, grad school, parenting, moving and met the criteria that my podiatrist said my shoes needed to meet.

The week, I finally had to say good bye to my favorite sandals. I hung on as long as I could and we had a great 12 year relationship, but my right one broke in half. There was nothing more I could do.

3 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

May your shoes rest-in-peace. They lived a long and fruitful life.

Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah, up here in hillbillyville we would have just duct taped them. We can get several more years of wear that way. Maybe you could dig them out of the trash and "repair" them. I hate to see good shoes get thrown away when there is still wear left in them. Just ask my boys! hee hee

We miss you, Heather

Anonymous said...

I know where you get your desire to hang on to old things that are dear to you and have performed faithfully. I am still wearing a lovely red bathrobe that I have had for 25 years. The holes just make it look better.
Mom