Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Guilty Pleasures

I was reading a survey in a magazine (Real Simple) about guilty pleasures. Some were pretty standard, others, unique. It got me thinking about a few things. First what truly is a guilty pleasure? Second, what are mine?

I guess how I define a guilty pleasure is indulging in something you normally would not for many reasons... Too much money, Too much fat, Too much time, not practical...

Some seem to define guilty pleasures as hobbies or normal every day stuff. For example: reading, facebook, drinking the first cup of coffee out of a pot, shopping, chocolate, salt... You get the picture. These are all pretty normal things, I assume, which makes me wonder why are we feeling guilty for our hobbies, simple pleasures and interests? Are we, as a society, so goal oriented, that we can not relax anymore with out defining it as a "guilty pleasure?" Can we not eat a piece of chocolate with out guilt?

There are also a few examples of what I would define as gluttony: Buying a new Coach purse every 3 months or missing a flight to spend an extra night in a luxury hotel.

Here are some examples of some "true" guilty pleasures: lingering in bed (ahhhh), using profanity(guilty), Hormel Vienna Sausages (Gross!), Sneaking in a purchase for myself when I go to Target for "groceries" (Done that!) Eating a big piece of Kentucky Fried Chicken (this from a vegetarian!), Spending the afternoon at a local bookstore with a latte and a stack of magazines I don't subscribe to but want to read (LOVE IT!), shopping on line and filling the basket with $400 worth of stuff and then log off (Again, LOVE IT!)

So, drum roll please, my guilty pleasures (not mentioned above):
-Leelanau Roasting Company Coffee, bought once a year when in Glen Arbor, maybe once more if my mom takes a trip and picks me up a pound.

-Broadway musicals (very expensive, but can not stay away, I have managed to see a few in the past 3 years, Spamalot (2x), Hair Spray, Mamma Mia (thanks Aunt Laura for all of those!)Wicked (2x) and Legally Blonde.
-Buying a book. This is a very very rare occasion since I get my books from the library. The last book I bought was Twilight book 4 cause I just could not wait.
-Disney World (and other vacations like Colorado... I hope to indulge more in this category in the future)

-Expensive makeup (cause I think I will look like a supermodel...*Sigh*)
-Wine tasting, Norther Michigan, cabin with a fireplace, stocked fridge, games, friends. (I think it is only a guilty pleasure as I spend way to much money on wine, eat way to much food and can not afford to do this as often as I can.)

No comments: