Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Hosting

Remember 1 year ago when I went to China? If you were not a faithful reader, feel free to go back to mid October 2008 posts and read all about it. This weekend, China came to me. 13 Chinese "officials" came to visit the States and spent 3 days with Bethany. I offered to help, which much to my delight, meant a trip to Chicago to show them around and then a few days in Grand Rapids.

As fun as it was to be a part of this there is a little stress trying to lead a group of 13 people around a big city and only one of them speaks English. We thought it would be good to do some authentic Chicago stuff... So first stop, Deep Dish, Chicago Style Pizza... I neglected to think that the above mentioned pizza contains an absurd amount of cheese. Some where through the meal (they were all politely eating) it occurred to me that in the 3 weeks I spent in China, not once did I see a piece of cheese. I began to worry what this might do to their "system". Later, one of the group said "Americans dress in summer clothes in the fall b/c they eat so much cheese" Translation: We are fat.

They seemed to enjoy Navy Pier and the top of the Hancock, but trouble began brewing on the walk down Michigan Ave (if you happen to not know Michigan ave in Chicago it is hard core, name brand, shopping). The leader of the group said "NO WASTING TIME SHOPPING!" So here were are walking down the street surround by stores like Nike, Coach, Saks, Macys, Disney, Crate and Barrel, you get the drift. The women are drooling and gazing into store front windows as the men march by with out a glance. Until the Apple store appeared. All bets were off. That stoic group leader in his suit and tie marched right on intothat store and was determined to buy an iphone. (apparently the network does not cover Beijing...)

The third point of interest I will share tonight (there are many more) was also about food. You see, the group really wanted Chinese food. They had Chinese food in China town in New York and it was not up to their standards. They had Chinese food in Chicago in a snazzy, pricey restaurant and it was not up to standards. We had to find Chinese food, fast and we were in West Michigan. Things were not looking good. We had a group of 19 adults that had 1 hour to eat and we were in Byron Center (for those of you from far away, Byron Center is a farming community turned suburb, in the heart of Dutch, conservative, CRC W. MI). We all file into the Blue Ginger in a strip mall across from Metro Health Hospital. Then something wonderful happened. The owner greeted us and he was Chinese! He through out the "American" menus and spoke Mandarin and made them everything they asked for! His father came out of the back to do Tai Chi with some of the delegation. They ate with chop sticks, and drank tea, talked and laughed. Then they insisted we cancel our lunch plans for tomorrow and eat at the Blue Ginger (which we happily did). By the way, all 13 of them had NO idea what a fortune cookie was.


So I think the weekend ended with a happy delegation. On a more serious note, it was amazing to spend time with people who want the best for children and despite the cultural and language barriers we all share the same passion for the children of the world.

6 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

You are one brave one woman and I'm so proud to know you.

Curt, Pam, Ryan and Carissa said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time with them. We had a wonderful time on Sunday night. I want to go back soooo bad but someone would have to drop $20,000 in my lap. If you know of anyone that is willing to do that, let me know - LOL!!

I know in my heart that we will return again some day. I think with all of the events of this last week and remembering our trip just one year ago, I am a little bit "home sick" for China.

Heather Palmer said...

It really was an incredible evening. I couldn't help but cry. Of course, I do cry at supermarket grand openings. But the children, oh my, beautiful. We were sooo moved by them and their beautiful families. I was so impressed by the Chinese officials, too. They were genuine about their concern for orphans and they loved on the kids and took pictures. When the speaker said to come back to China and bring the kids. You will be accepted as family, I knew that he was sincere. I am sooo ready to get on a plane. Bring home another blessing from God. Thank you for a wonderful evening!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hey, didn't you forget the part about the fun roomy that you shared a ferris wheel ride and motel room with?

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I can't imagine leading that group around Chicago! We had a great time, it was so special meeting all of them in person and seeing how much they care about their children. Hopefully they'll really get us there next month :)! Juli