No one has ever asked me my HIV status. I could have HIV. You don't know this about me. I don't know this about you. If you found out I was positive would you change your opinion of me? Would you hug me? Sit next to me? Share your drink with me? Did you know that there are many HIV positive people in our community that you have sat next to at meetings, hugged and shared your drink with? They have cooked and served you food. They have cashed your checks, taught your children, taken your blood pressure, fixed your computer, preached your sermons, and more. The thing is, you just don't KNOW. Why does knowing change things? If you did any of the above things with me and found out later I had HIV would you think differently of me? Why? What if I told you I had diabetis, hypertension, a heart defect. What if I had told you I was abused. You you be afraid of me? Would you share your drink with me? Why is HIV different?I have to say I am APPAULED at the ignorace and intolerance in the attitudes of people. I mentioned to a friend of mine that I would like to adopt a child with HIV. They said, point blank, they would not let their child play at their house or with their children. (The thing, they may have had children in their house or playing with their children with HIV). I know of a nurse, A NURSE PEOPLE!, who would not take blood pressure of a patient with out wearing 2 sets of gloves. TWO! (in case you don't know, there is no contact with blood while taking blood pressure).
So, let me tell you some things about HIV. You can ONLY catch it through pregnancy, childbirth or nursing and with the proper medications the probability of this is slim. Sexual intercourse and sharing needles are other ways. Blood has to be in contact with an open sore to get into another person's blood stream. This, is not that easy to do. The virus can NOT live outside of the human body. Don't take my word for it... look it up. It does not take a lot of research. The info is there. I am not going spend hours explaining how it can NOT be given. But really any way besides what is listed above.

So now that we know all this, I am sure you are all just as horrified as I am about the STIGMA that is out there. That children, teenagers, adults, families, entire countries are discriminated against because they have HIV.
THis is where I want to change the world. I am not Bono, but he is doing a great job. Same with GAP, Starbucks, Apple, Dell, Converse and others. I am one person who has never even been asked my HIV status. But, I am GOING to be a part of this solution. I am going to be a part of "positive" change. Come along for the ride!Here is the problem. Let's say we have a child, this child is HIV positive. The law says that parent's do not have to disclose. So they don't. They don't because they KNOW that the child will be treated differently. They might loose friends. They might not be able to go to Church nursery any more. They might not get a babysitter. So for the emotional well being of the child, it is left private. As it can be. But here is the thing...by leaving it private, by NOT disclosing, that implies that there is something wrong. Something to be ashamed of. A parent, who is just protecting their child, may be doing it because it is nobody's business, but there is also a big level of fear. For what might happen if someone knows.
Children do not have to disclose Diabetis, and if someone finds out... what would happen. Hmmm I think nothing... What if a child had a heart defect, was missing a limb, was blind or deaf or in a wheelchair... these children are much easier to find homes for that a child with HIV. Why is that?
Also, is a child, who was born into this world with HIV, through no fault or choice of there own really responsible for changing stigma in this world? Their job, like any other child, is to play, and learn and love and laugh. They need to learn to tie shoes and ride a bike and bake cookies. They are too busy to be advocating for change. It is OUR resonsibility. This is our community. These are OUR children. Please, educate yourself and get someone fired up. Please help me. Please help the child that smiled at you today.
5 comments:
You GO GIRL!!! I'm right there with you. This is definitely a special need I would have pursued with a vengeance if we wouldn't have adopted a heart child.
AMEN!!!!!!! I hope to also adopt an HIV+ child someday and the larger community needs to understand the REAL risks!!!! Great post!!!
I'm fired up! Thanks, Sarah. But don't forget - you already ARE changing the world!
Sarah, I'm a health educator in schools and I am just amazed at this day and age that there is still such a stigma. I'm trying to change that every day as well. Great post!
AWESOME post!
Post a Comment