Thursday, August 19, 2010

3 good things

I am a boss, it may seem hard to believe, but I am in charge of a few people in my humble little office. They often teach me way more than I could teach them, but there is one lesson I want each of my employees and co-workers to walk away with... It is the lesson of self respect. You can call it good self esteem or self confidence, but really it boils down to respecting one's self. So occastionally at work, when a few to many self depricatign comments have been made I say "Tell me 3 things you are good at". No one likes this. NO ONE! But they always do it...

There is really nothing worse than hearing people complain about themselves. And I am not just picking on my coworkers, it is everywhere, and I have to say they catch me too...

It really just makes me wonder, why are we so hard on ourselves... Why do we insist on shrugging off compliments or pointing out our own flaws? What is it in our culture that says we can not be proud of who we are and what we stand for?

So here is your challenge faithful readers... Find three good things about yourself... No cheating, it has to be about your charecter, your talents...Something you are in control of. And remember these things, add to them if you want, cause I know you have more than three!

And since I know some one will call me out on it, here are my three...
1. I have a great sense of humor
2. I am a good writer (note I did not say speller or editer, just writer :)
3. (thinking really hard right now, the 3rd one is always the hardest...)I have learned to overcome many fears. (Oooooo, this could be a good blog later)

No comments: