Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Gym

After the treadmill in the basement sat broken for almost a year we realized it was not worth the expense ($400) to fix it and after searching for new a treadmill or elliptical we decided a gym membership might be the best value...So we joined up at Fitness 19. I put on my work out gear and tied a bandanna around my head and headed into the gym.

This is an entirely new phenomenon for me. As I walked by the rows of treadmills and the muscly people pumping iron in the background I picked my elliptical and jumped in full force. There were 2 others near me on elliptical as well who were sweating and showing no sign of weakness. So I figured how hard can this be? No impact, just gliding through the air with some great tunes pumping in my ears, I really look the part ear buds, water bottle, bandanna, yoga pants, old 5k t-shirt...


2 minutes later I am close to death. I can barely move my legs anymore and my entire body is screaming with pain. I decide to slow down considerably and see if I can make it 5 minutes. My only hope now is to last 5 seconds longer than the 2 other people beside me. They have been on for hours so they must quit any minute now.

10 minutes into it and I can not feel my feet.

15 minutes into it my arms have given up and I have to slow to almost nothing every minute to catch my breath.

At 19 minutes the man climbs off. I try to make it an even 20 minutes and wobble to the sanitizer station and clean off my machine. As I get my boots and coat on and leave while trying to walk with out falling I look back at the lone girl whose elliptical says 60 minutes, hang my head in shame and drive home...to eat some ice-cream...

1 comment:

Musings from Kim K. said...

You have TOTALLY made my afternoon. I love this post.