Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Up Hill Both Ways

I had one of those parental rights of passage yesterday. You know when you realize you are an adult and are doing something or saying something that your parents might have said. Like the age old conversation "I had to walk to school, up hill both ways, in the snow..." Well this was my somewhat depressing conversation I had with Miss Johanna yesterday.
J: "Mom,what if the mail doesn't come"
M:" It will"
J: "But what if it doesn't ever?"
M: "Actually in your life time I would not be surprised if there was no more mail, everything will be done on computers. Did you know that when mom was little there were no computers or internet?"
J: "NOT EVEN WHEN YOU WERE 6!"
M: "Nope, we did not have a computer in our house until I was 12, and we did not have a DVD player or VHS and if we wanted to watch a movie we had to go to the movie theater"
J: "What's VHS?"
M: "Never mind, we also did not have rules about seat belts or bike helmets and we did not have car seats!"
J: Spontaneously starts bawling "Mom this is so sad, can we not talk about it anymore?"
M: SIGH

No comments: