The great think about newer cars is they have this little light that comes on telling you that you are low on gas. Just in case you missed the fact that your little lever thingy is pointing to the "E" or your fancy digital reader has no bars left or a big "0" displayed... that little light (occasionally accompanied by a gentle ding) is there to remind you GET GAS NOW!I learned on some Dateline type show that this light really gives you a big cushion. You can drive for miles and miles on an empty tank with no worries of being stranded (and perhaps humiliated). So this prompts me to ask 2 questions.
1. Why do we need such a cushion? Shouldn't an empty tank mean empty? I think we often get messages that seem dramatic and then the reality is... "Oh, no big deal, even though I have an arrow pointing at a big red E and an orange light on and a dinging noise, I am still fine..." When will we learn to be prepared and make a plan before the warnings? Of course this is true in so many ways in our life. All these little cushions in our world that makes it seem o.k. to push a little farther. Live a little more on the edge, cause something will catch us, something will appear to make it all better. If the speed limit is 45, everyone goes 50. If you have to be somewhere at 6:00, 6:15 is acceptable.
Risk taking is a good thing, I think, but so is caution. When that little red light appears, it does not hurt to get gas, but it could hurt to ignore it. Such is life. When our mind, heart, body sends gives us a "light" listen before you run out of gas. Take action before you are stranded. Don't depend on the cushion so you are in more trouble later.My second question is a little less thought provoking, but it is what inspired this entry..
2. Why, when that little light comes on, do you NOT FILL UP YOUR TANK!!!! (Bryant Huyser, I mean you!!!!) Simple, easy concept. Put gas in car. Drive car, burn gas. Get more gas.
1 comment:
I absolutely love reading your blog. I am so impressed with how you keep up with it. You are so insightful and I always take a look at your blog before logging off my computer! When Josh gives you trouble about blogging, I'll set him straight at work!!
Post a Comment