Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Mowing...

I am the designated lawn mower at the Zuidema household. There is a not a lot of work I actually do at home due to an EXTREME dislike of any housework what so ever, so I try to do a few things to help my very patient and hard working husband. And the lawn is one of three things (I also take out the garbage every Tuesday night and do the laundry, but I do not fold or put away laundry...)

But back to the topic at hand. I like to mow the lawn for a variety of reasons... 1) I get some excersize 2) No one can bother me cause I can't hear them 3) I get to
listen to the Glee soundtrack as loud as I want. Now I will pause here to spend some time on #3. I love to listen to Glee and other various albums in the car, when I am getting ready in the morning and when I mow. I like to sing at the top of my lungs and incorperate a few select dance moves as well.

Tonight I put on some grubby clothes and a bandana (I love wearing bandana's casue I feel them make me look like I hike Mt. Everest for fun) and my ear buds. About half way through the yard my parents and in-laws both show up to deliver some things... We chat for a while. I go back to mowing, but then a neighbor stops buy to pick something up. As I head back a third time trying to finish the front yard, the sprinklers turn on. I have about 3 minutes of mowing to do, but am not willing to do it in the sprinklers so I figure I will tackle bath and bed time.

Once the kids are all settled and the sprinkler has stopped I put the ear buds back in and just as I start the mower my neighbor walks over to deliver something. He mocks me by pretending to sing so I stop mowing and ask him if he can hear me above the mower. At that moment my other neighbor walks out and informs me I have wonderful "moves" and seem to really enjoy the music. They were all huddled in their window watching me sing and dance in my back yard. I had no idea anyone could see me...

So I finished my last two rows just plain old walking and with my soft voice and put the mower away until next week. If I know I have an audience I better practice my dance moves!

1 comment:

Musings from Kim K. said...

I love love LOVE mowing the lawn for exactly all the same reasons...even the Glee soundtrack. I hate planting, digging in the dirt and especially weeding, but give me the lawnmower and I'm one happy camper who feels like she's contributed something to the landscaping.