For a fairly healthy family, we seem to spend a lot of time at Urgent Care. First because medical stuff NEVER happens from 9-5 and second, while I guess there is no second... 2 weeks ago we drove over for a bladder infection for one girl and 1 week later for a chest x-ray for the other girl. (Thank goodness for the free anti-biotic program at Meijer).
A few days ago it was my turn. After missing almost a week of work and still sick through the weekend, I gave in and called my doctor. They had no appointments that day so I figured I would head back to urgent care. After explaining my story (fever, cough, ear ache, sore throat, aches, pains...) to about 4 people and waiting my turn in the contaminated waiting room I was awarded with medical advice. The PA first wrote out 3 prescriptions for me... Steroids, antibiotic and inhaler. She then advised me to take Sudafed, Mussinex, Tylenol and Motrin along with two of the allergy meds I mentioned I already have at home. She said I could throw in an Alieve too if needed. ( Yeah if I can still lift my hand to my mouth after downing 27 pills!)
I did go and fill the prescriptions and while resting comfortably on my couch decided to read the literature about what I was taking. It listed all the things to do to heal my various diagnosis and then had a list of reasons to return to Urgent Care.
1. If you have a seizure. (Really? I think that is pretty obvious, I have lived a seizure free life and you think that if I just randomly had a seizure I would just hang out at home????)
2. Oral fever of 101 for more than 3 days or rectal fever of 102 for more than three days. (Really? Who takes their rectal temp anymore? I think that if I decide to take a rectal temperature there might be another wing of the hospital for me)
3. Hallucinations. (Again, not a normal occurrence in my life. I would like to think if I started talking to Abe Lincoln or Moses, I might think a trip to Urgent Care would be in order)
I guess sometimes things really need to be spelled out to people. Maybe the fact that these warnings seem a little obvious to me speaks to my superior intelligence. Or maybe, I am always on the look out for a good blog topic...
Stay healthy faithful readers!
1 comment:
Eek! You poor thing! I hope you are on the mend. Urgent Care can be a very a scary place. When Josie put a rock up her nose back in September, Chris and I were fighting over which one of us would be blessed to visit the Urgent Care center. I lost.
Post a Comment