Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Alumni

Every Quarter, my alma mater send me their alumni magazine "The Spark" (for all of you non CRCer's this is Calvin College). I always read it (or skim it) and spend some time in the back seeing what other alumni are up to. Last night I got my winter edition and as I thumbed through it I realized I just did not identify with anything in there. After reading the first half I felt all they wanted was my money. After reading the second half I realized I might be only one of a few people not carrying around a statue of John Calvin with me all over the world. ( So all of that may be a huge exaggeration, but you get the point)

Then I made the mistake of being a tiny bit negative on Facebook about Calvin and people got a little defensive...I am not saying it is bad or wrong, I am just saying it is not me.

As a status is not enough to explain, I figured I would try here. Maybe some of you will identify with my growth and world view changes....

As a very sheltered, not very book smart, shy and did I say sheltered 18 year old, I made the choice to go to Calvin College. This college has a great reputation and happened to be about 5 minutes away from the home I grew up in. It also is affiliated with the denomination I grew up in (CRC). Now, at this point in my life, my only focus was to save the world, get married and have babies. I figured Calvin could do all that for me. I also wanted to save the world from my comfy home in West MI. I also did not know there were other denominations besides CRC (Really, I am serious here... I met a Lutheran on my first day and was shocked!)

I also mentioned my lack of book smarts. (I know faithful readers you are shocked by this as I have a Master's Degree!!!!) I was a straight C student in high school with an occasional B and D to balance things out. I did horrible on standardized tests, never figured out math despite major tutoring and could not dribble a basketball to save my life. Calvin cared more about the whole me than just grades.

And then the shy part... I was a HUGE nerd in high school, was never going to parties or dances or dates or football games. I never talked during class and did no extra-curricular activities. It was just too much anxiety! So a smaller school that I knew others was a good option.

So fast forward 4 years, I got my Social Work degree, I met my husband, I made a few friends, and despite almost dropping out Freshman year due to educations stress and lack of friends, I made it. I think I did make it because I was close to home and the environment at school was familiar.

Now 12 years later, I am a totally different person. I converted to RCA ( I know scandal! And really actually could care less about all this denominational crap. I just want to love God, live a good life and forget the bureaucracy of it all. I do not think Calvinism is IT. I think it is one way people understand religion. I enjoy learning about other's perspectives on faith and I think it is fair to say mine is pretty obscure in this next of the woods.

Now I like to be around diverse situations, diverse people, diverse ways of thinking. I enjoy being a minority in all of these things. I like to be challenged by others, learn from them and if needed defend my own beliefs.

I hate that I will be paying back student loans until my kids are in College themselves.

I don't like that I did not get to see more of the world, live in other places or be challenged to think outside my little world.

But was I ready for that at 20? Would I have made different life choices? Would I have failed miserable and headed back home never to graduate at all? Who knows! What I know now is I am a very different person that I was back then. I love w here I am now and if I can not be in Africa or Haiti or India or NYC, I am glad to be doing what I am doing with the people I love. In 10 years I may have an entire different world view. I may have tried more new things, met more new people and have a whole new outlook. Maybe I will even be Lutheran by then!

2 comments:

Be the Good said...

I've never commented on your blog before and I hope that you don't mind that I read it from time to time.:) I have to say that I LOVE this post! I kind of feel like the 'Spark's presence in my mailbox is God's reminder to me of what HE has done and IS doing in my heart and life. :) Love your honesty!

Laurie said...

Sarah,
I enjoyed reading your blog entry. It seems like you feel bad about who you used to be (which you shouldn't, but I can relate), and you look at the Spark and it reminds you of that young, insecure 18 year old. I wonder if having a safe place to grow and learn when you were young contributed to making you into the vibrant, confident woman that you are today.

You'd be very surprised to see Calvin from a non-CRC/GR incoming student's perspective today. Only about 45% of Calvin students are from CRC/RCA backgrounds, and more than 10% are international these days. It is amazing to walk the halls and see so few tall, blonde girls and so many diverse faces. Working there has made me appreciate the school a lot more than when I was a student...though I liked it a lot then, too--I felt like I thrived there more than any where else I went to school.

Laurie