- Arthur Schopenhauer
Recently my boss told me I had a bit of a rebellious side. He did not seem bothered by this side of me, but I could tell he was a little concerned that someday, I might rebel a little too much. This got me thinking... why does the word rebel or rebellious have such a negative connotation? Here is a definition I found: "defying or resisting some established authority, government, or tradition" Is it really that bad to defy or resist established authority or tradition? Should we not be challenging these ideas daily?
I spent my childhood doing everything I was supposed to do. I turned in my homework on time, I only defied curfew ONCE (sorry mom and dad, still feel bad about that one), I did not smoke, I did not drink until I was 21. So I would guess all that is really good. (those are all laws). But here is the thing, I also wore all the same clothes, bought all the same jewelry and make up and got the same hair cut that everyone else did. It never even occurred to me to think about MY style, MY interests. I went to the same college as more than 80% of my graduating class did. It never occurred to me to go anywhere else. I had no identity, except that of those around me (who could gave just as easily been taking on my identity, what a vicious circle!).
I had a very sweet friend all through elementary, middle and high school. She started to wear funky clothes and do her hair different. She did not look like anyone in our "group." We were horrible to her and she stopped hanging out with us because of it. Now, I wish I had her courage. I also wish I could track her down to apologize. If we can just allow ourselves and others to be unique we open ourselves to so much more joy.
Not until recently have I realized that I am allowed to be myself. I can have my nose pierced because I like it. Lots of people did not, I did not care. I have a hair cut and color that I like, I wear jewelry and scarves and make up that fit my personality. I don't care anymore if high heals make me "too tall" if I like the shoes then darn it, I don't care how tall I am and how uncomfortable that might make boys around me. (I spent 20 years hunched over to appear shorter because a boy I liked in high school said he wanted to ask me out but I was too tall and he wanted to grow more first).Is rebellion really a negative thing or is it just people having the courage to be themselves and the rest of the world being afraid of non-conformity.
Watch out world... I have some rebellious acts planned...starting with bright blue nail polish (hey, it is pitiful I know, but I would not have worn blue nail polish a year ago...)Here are some new looks I have tried out in the past year...




No comments:
Post a Comment