I am realizing, slowly, that it can be much better not to plan my life. Now don't get me wrong, it is great to have goals and dreams and ideas. I thrive on these things. But what is the best part of life is the unexpected, or making a choice you never thought capable of making, or trying a food you assume you will hate and you love it. The other thing is that all that "direction" we give ourselves also does not leave a lot of room for detours, for taking the scenic route. And these are the times, when we are out of our comfort zone, that we learn the most about ourselves. Maybe about what we really want it life and never knew we wanted it.So here are some examples: I could not wait for the moment I could send both kiddo's off to school and have a quiet morning, run errands alone, read my book, Just BE. The thing is, is that it is not what I expected. There is no laughter, smiles or hugs when you are alone. It is quiet for sure, but when I put my book down there is no one to be goofy with. Funny how all my life I wanted to be a mom, then when I become a mom all I want is to have freedom, and then when that freedom is handed to me (granted only 4 hours a week) I don't want it anymore.
How about finding new passions. Who would guess that plain old Sarah Brower would grow up to have an incredible passion for the injustices of the world? Who would guess that that same person could actually do something concrete about these things. That I would be comfortable speaking in front of large groups, be outgoing, travel the world...
And then of course there are mushrooms. Those gross slimly things I despised for 20 years... once I actually tried one I was addicted.I think we all like to plan where were going, but if we plan it all out, we miss way too much.
1 comment:
I'm very proud of you.
Post a Comment