Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Grocery Store

1 trip to the grocery store + 2 wild kids who don't listen + 56 envelopes with coupons= a very crabby Sarah.

So, you all know my quest to save money through coupons and you all know my dilemma regarding how much money do I need to save in order to make the insanity worth my while. Well, faithful readers, I will let you judge for yourself. Drum roll please....

Due to a busy day I decided to make a Meijer trip tonight, with both kids, with really crazy hair do's, and little ability to listen to their mom. (Side note: Hanna told me the other night I was "ruining her life". Well she did not so much tell me as she did scream it in the middle of the cul-de-sac for Georgetown township to hear. Just to know her potential to melt down I should have avoided the trip all together.) I also decided, out of respect for my children to only do Meijer and forget the Walgreens (kraft mac and cheese .69 limit 4), Aldi(animal crackers), Family Fare (yogart 10/$6 plus a coupon for $1.00 of 6 and buy 4 get 1 free, and Oatmeal 2/3 and $3.00 of grocery bill when you buy 5 of something or other...) run.

So I fill up my brand new, snazzy Bethany travel mug (thanks Steph!) and hit the road. The problems did not begin until we get out of the car. We get a sweet parking spot, start walking to the store and Abby begins begging for a "bench" cart. Those of you out there who have pushed a bench cart know it is no easy task, plus there is no place to put my coffee, purse or 56 envelopes of coupons and my list. So we get to the entrance and realize I forgot my "green" bags in the car. Back to car, get bags, back to store, get normal cart. Both children want to ride in big part of cart. Fine! Not worth a battle. First stop shampoo, have coupon, shampoo on sale, I am excited. Until the kids tip over a display of detangler spray while I am determining if I need more volume, moisture or color protection in my shampoo. Pick up mess, yell at kids, remember I have my Bethany coffee mug, therefore could be spotted as a social worker and judged even more for yelling at kids. Onward we go, I say "no" to such things as Hanna Montana bedding, High School Musical hair bows and doggie halloween costumes. Pick up grapes, figure out on cell phone calculator if yogurt might be cheaper at Meijer saving a trip to family fare (it's not) and then pick out coffee cream (also on sale, only one variety left, not my favorite, angry at others for taking advantage of coffee cream sale so I do not get my favorite.) Finally after searching for any left over cinnamon, hazelnut, caramel variety, I turn back to the cart to see Abby laying on the bottom of it with her head dragging on the floor. Pick up Abby, glare at Abby, (do not want to be caught yelling again at Abby) and put her in the cart. Get wraps and turkey. Forgot lettuce so head back to the back of the store. Finally my list is complete. So I decided in a moment of insanity that the U check it, will be the fastest way to go. Abby and Hanna start to grab items and check them out throwing them wildly on the belt. Assuming I am going to get busted for stealing, I start over and ask them "please, please can you just not touch anything, please!" So that means: touch the belt, touch the cart, bash the cart into me, drop my purse on the floor.... At this point I am DONE (not with the groceries, but the kids), but must look nice and kind in order to present the cashier my coupons. ( I think he was a little afraid of me, since he gave me my $1.00 of 2 boxes of Fiber One cereal and I only had 1 box) Bag groceries. Get into car. Give long long lecture to children about listening. Check my reciept. $56.00 spent, $27.05 SAVED!!!!! So I must determine if this whole experience was worth $27.05. (remember I still have 3 stores to go to before I am done.)

Wow, thanks for listening. I feel much better now : )

3 comments:

Amy Tol said...

I am really enjoying the ongoing coupon saga that has been unfolding here... so far, I have to say, you haven't convinced me to start clipping!

Anonymous said...

Unbelievable. I'm laughing out loud. Your two girls are some day going to LOVE reading this whole thing, but will only really appreciate your stories and YOU when they have their own precious little girls! Thanks for a great way to start my morning, and for helping me be even more excited about my little grandchild who is coming soon!

Lindsey said...

You brave, brave woman....I am speechless (and laughing my butt off)that you are that courageous!! Someday I hope I can battle my two girlies at the grocery store and still have enough a sense of humor at the end to entertain others! I salute you!