Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Kitchen Nightmares

Well faithful readers, It happened again. I managed to set off the fire alarm while attempting to cook a simple meal. Many of you know I despise to cook, I am not good at it, I burn things (every attempt to cook chicken in frying pan), over cook them (box of rice turned to mush), under cook them(second box of rice, still crunchy), forget an ingredient (cream of tarter is important just so you know), add an ingredient (banana bread of 2004, added chocolate chips to recipe turned entire loaf into mush) you get the drift. Not only am I bad at cooking, I really just don't get it. For example if faced with 4 staple ingredients, I will have no idea what to do with them. If a recipe has the word meanwhile in it, tears start forming in my eyes. About 1:00 in the afternoon I start feeling panic set in as I figure out what to make for dinner.

So, back to lunch today, I was going to make a sandwich on some bakery bread. I pull out the bread and it is stale. Some where, deep in my mind I remember: Stale bread makes good french toast. So I then go to google to type in french toast recipes (I know I know... Who needs a recipe for french toast? I DO!!!!) I pour in my eggs, milk, cinnamon and vanilla, dip in the bread and pour it in the pan. The first two slices are looking good (although one actually has become a fried egg with bread in the middle...) then I put in the last 2 slices and that is when it happens.... BEEP BEEP BEEP!!! Fire alarm. You have got to be kidding me, All I want is a little lunch here.

So I am now decided if I want to make it my New Year's Resolution to learn how to cook. Realize please faithful readers, this is not learning to follow a recipe. This will mean rewiring my brain, possibly therapy for the anxiety side of it and a basic understanding of ingredients and how they work together for the good of the taste bud. I have a few weeks to decide for now though, it looks like cereal for dinner...

Here is the quote I just happened to read today... Maybe it is a sign...

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it"- Pablo Picasso

6 comments:

Jolynn said...

sarah,
you are tooo funny! somehow i can just picture you in your kitchen yelling up at the fire alarm...'you've gotta be kidding me!!' such a great image in my mind!! happy cooking!!!!!
jolynn

Anonymous said...

Because Josh is such a fabulous cook, I think you subconciously know that you don't have to learn to cook. I believe that if it was entirely up to you to feed your family, that you would rise to the occasion and become a decent cook. Good cooking is in your genes, but not from me. Hang in there.

Mom

Unknown said...

Thanks for the Christmas card Sarah! We felt very fortunate to have our very own personal photographer and friend with us on our journey! I pray that all the kids you were working with are getting placed and who knows maybe one day you'll get to return with us to get Hanna a brother or sister! :) Merry Christmas, Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Sarah,I too am not a cook. The difference with us is when Aron cooks I get furious because his meals almost always turn out better than mine. Ugh!! Maybe my resolution should be to swallow my pride and let him run the kitchen. Now that I think of it... he kind of does look like Emeril Lagassi! Hee hee!

Heather

Deur said...

I have to say that catching the end of "Rachael Ray", when she actually cooks has helped me alot. I do feel the same panic set in at around 2pm when I realize all the meat is in the freezer. Darn it!!

Amy Tol said...

oh I've missed reading your blog! You always make me laugh. :) (my laptop died back before Thanksgiving and we didn't get a new one until yesterday, so i've been tech depraived for awhile)

anyway. you are not alone. i have seen actual flames coming out of my oven/stovetop on three separate occasions. hmm... maybe I shouldn't have just mentioned that to my caseworker...