My favorite part about a church service is the blessing. We go to a fairly large church and I always notice a few parents sneak out to be first in line at the nursery. Or a few elderly people leave during that last song to avoid the chaos of weaving through a crowded narthex. But I need to hear that blessing. I love to see the minister stand up, with his arms raised and palms pointing out, over me and say this: “The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.”
Numbers 6, 24-26
These words give me that extra bit of strength I might need during the week. They fill me with a little more hope than I came with. But most of all they give me comfort. They remind me of the presence of God in my life. Day to day, hour to hour, minute by minute.
they were meeting me and that my job is to find them a family. As I met these children I found myself laying my hand on each one. Saying in my mind this blessing: “May the Lord Bless you and keep you, may the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; may the Lord turn His face to shine upon you and give you peace”. Later in the week we met more children. I continued my blessings. Each little 3 year old boy, each 7 year old girl, each child of God, deserved to feel a warm hand on their cheek, to play “who’s got your nose,” try on sunglasses to look silly and be blessed.
I beg you all to consider how you can be a blessing to these Children of God. I met 27 children in Beijing Orphanage #1. I met 10 children in Shenyang Orphange. I am haunted by the full beds of the Tulchyn orphanage in
“The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.”
Numbers 6, 24-26
*This was an article that was published in LifeLines (the publication put out by Bethany Christian Services in the Spring 2009 edition)
5 comments:
I can't wait to see all those kiddos be placed with their forever families. I was thrilled to see the latest posting on the Bethany blog today. What an amazing experience to be part of, Sarah. It's life-changing.
Thank you Sarah - I can't wait for the children to go online. I know we aren't in any position to adopt again so quickly (financially especially), but I will help pray for them that they will all find homes. I'm curious if any of Hanna's friends will be on there from the Shenyang orphanage. One especially has my heart! Jennifer
Great article Sarah!
I loved seeing your face in Lifelines. Danielle and I read the article together. We could hear your voice through those written words. I know that you are didicated to those little ones and we pray with you for their forever families. What an experience! God bless- Heather
Sarah - I'm assuming your article was area specific? It wasn't in my issue. Think I could get a copy of it? BTW - did you happen to see Hanna??! Jennifer
Post a Comment