Sunday, February 15, 2009

soap box

Well Valentines day has come and gone, yet I feel I should share my opinion on this sham of a holiday with you, faithful readers. Despite the fact I am surrounded by loved ones and could have easily convinced my hubby to do something romantic on v-day, I chose to ignore it. Why you ask? my main point is I do not want the calender to dictate when some one should tell me they love me. I do not want cheesy mall jewelry stores to tell me what my man should buy me. The whole situation is just insane! It is a set up to make men feel as though they have to do something out of the ordinary, on a day that every other man has to do something out of the ordinary, to make sure the world knows they love their significant other so that their significant other can anticipate the day for weeks on end and either be sorely disappointed (causing weeks of pouting and fighting) or happily surprised (causing a year of how can I top this next year panic).

You also have the week before of the questions "What are you doing for Valentines day?" These questions cause dread and depression for those who do not have a valentine and makes them feel like social outcasts. And what if you do have a so called valentine and have nothing planned and have to try to explain. Then the week after the same question... "What did you do for Valentines day?" And then there is the actual day... Flowers are delivered to the office and you wonder are they for me as the secretary marches them by your office to someone else's. Pink envelopes fill the mailbox and you wonder if your name will be on any... How can one marketing inspired holiday cause so much drama? It is insanity if you ask me. (You might not have asked me but you did open my blog and saw my title "soap box" so you had to know what you were getting yourself into...)

Love is not a day. If you love someone, show them, tell them, when it is on your heart. Do not set your loved one up for failure by what they do on one day of the year. Love is a choice, every day we decide how we are going to treat someone. How we are going to react to a situation. Love is also not just about dating or marriage. It is about friendships and family and world peace (you know by now, faithful readers, that I have to mention world peace as often as possible). Love is also not about waiting for someone to show you they love you, but maybe about showing them love first. So I challenge you this year to love deeply and to love all. To show your love in many ways on many days and forget about Valentines day and marketing. Be creative, be yourself and be loved.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah,

I love your "soap box" entry! This is so true and I could not agree more. I don't like "Hallmark" holidays...they are tough sometimes! I truly enjoyed reading your entry. Thanks for sharing!
Jamie M

Caryn said...

Totally agree. We have never really celebrated Valentine's Day - except for our tradition of getting take out Chinese Food. I love it when I find other people who are on the same page, and who don't look at me sort of sympathetically when they find out that I don't mind that I don't chocolates and flowers on Valentine's Day!

Unknown said...

LOL! Jerry wants to know why you two think the same way!! LOL

Unknown said...

I should have said though...I love the chocolate!!

Unknown said...

Sarah,

I'm just now reading this post (I am a bit behind) and I have to say that you've sold me ;)

Steph