Thursday, May 28, 2009

What's a girl to do?

Mother Teresa said: "Do not wait for leaders, but do it on your own, one by one"

Do you ever get super excited about something? Just so wrapped up in the moment that you feel like changing your life forever? This happens to me a lot. I read up on an issue and I get all fired up. I go to a conference and decide to change the world. Passion is an amazing thing- it is so powerful, it just takes over the whole rational side of your brain and gets you fired up! So I began to wonder what people are passionate about? Here is my ever growing list:
1. Orphans. Every child has a right to a safe, loving family where all their basic needs are met!
2. Woman's rights. Sure we have come a long way in this country, but there is a lot of messed up stuff happening to women everywhere. For example, did you know that the Taliban states a woman can be killed for laughing, owning a parakeet and singing!
3. HIV/AIDS. This is a treatable chronic disease that people suffer with day by day and die in masses all over the world. People are all about vaccinating for less stigmatized diseases and want to rid the world of malaria and TB, but HIV/AIDS. We give it a cold shoulder. Wanna read something good. Check out Bono's speech at a prayer breakfast a few years back.
4. Peace. You know war is just plain stupid. Why can't we all just get along!
5. Fiber. I know after the first four it is trivial, but Fiber is an essential part of your diet and people just do not get enough. Trust me, I used to be one of those people.
6. NOT watching t.v. I gave it up for lent about 6 years ago. Now I might have it on about 1 hour a week if that. It is amazing freedom. The bonus is no marketing schemes being shoved down my throat.
7. Environment: There are 2 big issues in this broad category...
Littering. Don't do it! See simple.
Hummers (or Expeditions, Monster trucks, you get the idea). Don't drive them, what the heck is the point! Seriously people, get a grip and drive something a little more efficient.

I posed my passion question on face book and here are some other issues people are passionate about...

-Debits and Credits (from my accountant friend)
-Safety on recreational vehicles (4 wheelers and such) and not allowing children to ride on lawn mowers
-Literature, high school students
-Conservative Republicans (Crazy, I know!)
-providing services for the developmentally disabled
-Life and unborn children's right to it.
-The Deaf Community, Women's Rights, How the church responds to gays and lesbians, and sexually abused children.
-Past Participles, seat belts, and spelling :0) Oh, and weeds in my lawn....
-Traumatized children, dining out (seriously) and design
-I am passionate about enabling my children to grow up to be strong Christian Men and Women who Love God, stand up for those who can't stand up for themselves, and who respect and encourage their fellow mankind. I am passionate about adoption; not for pity or for rescuing children, but rather because God has called you to be a family. I am passionate about doing my best for the Kingdom of God at all times.
-Sexuality and gender issues, egalitarian marriage, carseat safety, meaningful relationships
-Simple living, environmental stewardship, social justice, animal welfare, a consistent ethic on life, generosity and compassion.
-being committed when you say you are going to, taking care of our elderly, adoption, taking care of animals, honesty and fairness.
-I am passionate about teaching the next generation to be socially active Christians, to have passion about serving others in the name of Christ. I am also passionate about serving others in the name of Christ myself.
-KIDS!
-Iowa Football
-Organization

No comments: