Saturday, May 30, 2009

Toto, were not in China anymore

Tonight I had night out at the China King Buffet. It's a classy place. Since I spent about 3 weeks in China this year I am more of an expert on Chinese food than the average Joe. For crying out loud I ate Ox stomach and Fish gut soup. Not to mention chicken joints. But, alas, at the China King Buffet, there were no stomach, guts, intestines or joints of any kind. There was, though, a taco bar.


There were also chicken nuggets, mashed potatoes, spiral ham, french fries, roast beef, and other various authentic Chinese dishes.

There were a few other Classic Chinese Food Buffet moments to be observed. The table next us. The matriarch of the family decided efficiency was the name of the game. She filled and pile 2 plates of deep fried goodness which saved her that 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th trip up to the buffet. Really who wants to have to get up when it is time for their 5th helping! Her adult son later cut in front of me in the ice cream line right before I was going to scoop 4 cones of superman ice cream for some children (Superman is very authentic Chinese). It is important to note this same man feel asleep after eating the 3 large scoops of ice cream.



The table next to this one also had a notable incident. A woman there filled her plate with apple and cherry cobbler topped with ice cream and then bowed her head to pray over it. I can only imagine what she was saying "God, please let me fit every morsel of this basket ball size dessert into my fist sized stomach!"

There was another man whose back was to the buffet so he just turned around in his chair and scoped out the situation and as soon as the guy with the crab legs came out, the mad dash began. It is important to be first in line for crab legs.


Finally, as we were getting ready to leave a child yelled out to his mom: "Don't forget to get me ketchup and ranch!" Ahhh the tastes of China...

3 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

Pathetic and amusing all at the same time!! PS. We ordered take-out Chinese for our 17th wedding anniversary on Friday. I'm thinking we'll continue to stick with take-out. Hugs.

Unknown said...

I so miss Chinese Celery, sweet and sour pork, and those green beans! We ate well in ShenYang with Shiyan. Think we could go back just to eat dinner?!

The LaHuis Family said...

I love reading your blog. You crack me up:)