
So here I am today saying who cares if you eat dessert first? What is the big deal if I stay up past my bedtime (I did last night and let me tell you, I am pooped!) There are subtle ways we can "rebel" and I think the best way to do so is to open our mind. Think for ourselves and form our own opinions. Even if you don't agree with mine, at least your opinions are you own and you are passionate about them!
As the proud daughter of a librarian, I think now is the time to address the reading of banned books. What a great way to stick it to the man! How can we learn, experience and explore other worlds, people and ideas if we can not read about them? I remember a few years ago when a school was considering banning Of Mice and Men. If you have not read this book it is about 2 drifters who work on farms, on of them who has mental delays. The book is full of swearing and crass comments and ideas, but you are in this world. You are understanding life the way Lenny and George experience life. So in the banning discussion someone said "what if Jesus came back and saw me reading that book"? Well my answer is if Jesus came back, he would be living the book. He would be hanging with Lenny and George. Not tucking their story away in a box so He does not have to deal with it.
So now that you have my banned book soap box, here are some resources for you to start reading your own banned books (much thanks to my sis-in-law Becky for the info!)Sons and Lovers, DH Lawrence
In 1961 an Oklahoma City group called Mothers United for Decency hired a trailer, dubbed it "smutmobile," and displayed books deemed objectionable, including Lawrence's novel. Source: 2004 Banned Books Resource Guide by Robert P. Doyle.
and my Favorite:
Brave New World, Aldous Huxley
Banned in Ireland (1932). Removed from classroom in Miller, MO (1980), because it made promiscuous sex "look like fun."
http://www.ala.org/ala/issuesadvocacy/banned/frequentlychallenged/challengedclassics/reasonsbanned.cfm
No comments:
Post a Comment