Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Lime Lake

There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered. ~Nelson Mandela


Growing up we spent the first week of August, every single summer, at Lime Lake, Fisher's Lakeside Cottages. We would drive up on a Saturday morning, the 4 hour drive seemed endless! We would arrive in the gravel driveway, run through the lawn onto the dock and into the lake. Every moment of that week was spent in utter childhood joy. Swimming, tubing, playing dolls, watching stars and making smores. The cabins we stayed in had everything we could possibly need. Plenty of room for playing, eating sleeping...

Years later, I made my husband drive by Fisher's Lakeside Cottages. Funny how they seemed so much smaller... Even though I was all about taking my children their. Making my memories their own. We never have made those reservations though. I know why. I am afraid of destroying my childhood. If I go to Lime Lake, as a parent, it will not be the same. It will be seen through adult eyes. I will be cooking and cleaning that tiny cabin. Try to get the kids to take a shower in a bathroom so small we both can't fit it in.

I have changed. I think in a lot of good ways. Being a grown up is important. I am happy here, at this crazy stage of life, well most of the time : ) But I want those memories to remain precious. I do not want to be reminded of the fact that I grew up and vacations do not mean the same as they used to. (Don't get me wrong, I love a good vacation). I guess I am heeding Mandela's words... I am not ready to see all the ways I have changed. Not just yet...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Going to Lime Lake as parent was even better than going as a kid. We got to watch our kids have a great time, but also indulge our own vacation dreams. (Sunday brunch, star-gazing after the kids are in bed, shopping day in Leland, fishing, golf, etc.)

Mom and Dad