
So here is the truth: I love Christmas. The tree, the lights, the music, the parties and time with family, traditions... But here is what I really love and I am just going to say it: I love getting presents. So I know it is not cool to say that. We can love giving presents, but we are not allowed to admit we love them ourselves. Why is that? why can we not talk about it? I think many of you love getting them too... You don't have to say it, but I know :)

So now that I put it out there, I will tell you why. First I love that someone took time to think of me and really think about what I might like. I don't care if it is a $2 ornament or a $200 camera, someone looked at something and said "Sarah would like this" So I guess that is my 2nd admission. I like it when people think about me. I like to be remembered.

Second, I love surprises. The anticipation that there is something wrapped in a box, that I will love and with in minutes I will find out what it is. I am holding a box of something that will make me smile, make me happy, make me cozy, make me sing, make me cry... whatever it is it holds an emotion and that emotion is just as much a gift as the object is.

Lastly, I now have a new collection of "stuff" that not only makes me happy, but makes me think of the people in my life that make me happy. Every time I see/use that gift, I remember that someone thought of me and loves me enough to want to give me something.

So there is my childish confession. I am not ashamed to admit my love of presents and my love of "stuff". I do have to call myself out here though before I sign off. I am all big talk about social justice, peace on Earth, equality, poverty...And I truly am incredibly passionate about these issues. They make my heart ache, but at the same time I will recognize that I am materialistic. I covet "stuff". I want. So this contradiction lives in my heart and maybe that is what strives me to work hard to keep solving the problems of the world.
2 comments:
I love your honesty. Thanks for always keeping it real. Hugs.
so I read this particular post just before we for Ethiopia, and I'm happy to say we bought you a gift while we were there... you just have to wait until your visit to get it. Ha, I'm such a tease! I'm sure you'll be up at night now thinking about it.
Post a Comment