Over a year ago I read 2 different books that changed the way I think about the AIDS crisis. These books "28 (stories of AIDS in Africa" and "There is no Me with out You" both talk about the sick, they dying, the orphaned. This I have always known about and have always been passionate about, but these books helped me look a little deeper. They pointed out to me the incredible injustice of the 2% of the rich in this world (and if you are reading this you are one of the 2%) who have access to everything they could ever want or need compared to the other 98% of the world who has NO access to medicine. Who
suffer, who DIE because of selfish, greedy drug companies. Who suffer, who DIE because we bratty Americans think we get to change the world in ways that make sense to us. Who suffer, who DIE because of our politics and our ambitions, because we define people as lazy and ignorant. We have this attitude of total greed, that we work hard therefore we DESERVE. What do we really deserve? What do I, a SINNER, a selfish person with a full stomach, a warm home and a job really deserve. I was born to privilege, yet all I see are those more privileged than me. What if I had been born in to a sick mother and in a dirt hut. How would my opinions be changed.
U2's lead singer Bono addressed the President a few years back: I find this speech very inspiring and would love to share it with you, But first here is a quote:" I close this morning on very thin -- thin ice, probably. This is a dangerous idea I’ve put on the table, here: my God versus your God, their God versus our God, versus no God. It's very easy, in these times, to see religion as a force for division rather than unity. And this is a town -- Washington -- that knows something of division.
But the reason I'm here, and the reason I keep coming back to Washington, is because this is a town that is proving it can come together on behalf of what the Scriptures call "the least of these." It's not a Republican idea. It's not a Democratic idea. It's not even, with all due respect, an American idea; nor it is unique to any one faith.
"Do unto others as you would have them do to you." Jesus says that.²
"Righteousness is this: that one should give away wealth out of love for Him to the near of kin and to the orphans and the needy and the wayfarer and the beggars and for the emancipation of the captives." ³ The Koran says that.
Thus sayeth the Lord: Bring the homeless poor into the house, when you see the naked, cover him, then your light will break out -- then your light will be like the dawn and your recovery will be speedily and spring forth; then the Lord will be your rear guard. The Jewish Scripture says that. It's Isaiah 58 again.
It's a powerful incentive: "The Lord will watch your back." Sounds like a good deal to me, especially right now. (Right? The Lord will watch your back. [turning to President Bush] You like that. Okay.)
Alright.
A number of years ago, I met a wise man who changed my life -- in countless ways, big and small. I was always seeking the Lord’s blessing. I - I'd be saying, "Look, I've got a new song...Would you look out [for it]. I have a family; I'm going away on tour -- please look after them. I have this crazy idea. Could I have a blessing on it."
And this wise man asked me to stop. He said, "Stop asking God to bless what you’re doing. Get involved in what God is doing -- because it’s already blessed. Well, let's get involved in what God is doing. God, as I say, is always with the poor. That's what God is doing. That's what He’s calling us to do."
http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/bononationalprayerbreakfast.htm
Maybe AIDS is not your passion, maybe it is not orphans or poverty or social justice or woman's rights. Maybe it is education, pro-life, environment, religious freedom. But ever it is I ask you don't give up on it. Give it all you have. Believe in yourself and your cause, educate yourself and others. Learn from Ghandi who says..."Be the change you want to see in the world"
No comments:
Post a Comment