Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Wise Owl

I have the exciting job of teaching kindergarten and 1st grade Sunday school. This week I learned a very good lesson about the difference between being smart and wise (you know, like the 3 wise men...). So here is the example given in my lesson plan... Smart is being able to tie your shoes. Wise is keeping them tied so you do not trip over them. I began to wonder if I am smart or wise... Here are some examples I came up with:

I am smart enough to know the speed limit. I am wise enough to set my cruise control so I do not speed. You see my car is also my stage. It is the only time I can really let loose and sing. I really belt it out and often get into character, thus finding myself not focused on the driving. By using cruise control I do not have to worry about speed, only steering.

I am smart enough to set my alarm every night. I am NOT wise enough to get up when it goes off.

I am smart enough to write a 12 page Adoptive Family Assessment that gets submitted to United States Immigration and local and foreign judges. I am wise enough to use spell check and editor before I do so.

I am smart enough to write down every thing I want to do or remember. I am NOT wise enough to save the lists.

I am smart enough to read. I am wise enough to read it twice since I read so stinking fast I miss half the story.

I am smart enough to do laundry. I am NOT wise enough to check pockets for kleenex, chap stick, pens, sharpies, bobby pins, gum, mints, wallets...

1 comment:

Musings from Kim K. said...

Your list is awesome. Congratulations on the 12 page document being submitted to Immigration. You GO girl!!

PS. I just posted the easiest CNY craft yet on our blog.