Friday, November 21, 2008

Line Up

Last night I had the opportunity to head to one of the classiest places in town: Terry Hall Roller Rink. I strapped on a pair of old school brown roller skates and hit the floor. The music was blasting (and a little inappropriate for a group of elementary kids) the disco lights were on full force and, I must admit, I have not lost my flair for roller skating. So as Hanna clung all night to my hand and I drug her around the rink like a wet noodle, I was fondly recalling all the great memories of my childhood skating parties.

We had them 2-3 times a year. I would spend weeks deciding the perfect outfit. I would plan a time to meet my friends at the door, lace up and hit the floor. As you may know, I am not the most athletic person in the world, my spelling is poor and my math skills are weak. But, I can skate. I was in my glory those precious evenings. Inevitably something would happen at every party that would crush my self esteem. It was called "line up" Let me set the stage a little. Picture a group of middle school kids, insecure, low self esteem, trying to fit in. Then ask the boys to line up on one wall, and the girls to line up on the other. Then the boys get to skate by the line of girls and pick someone to skate with. So here we are lined up like cattle and boys are scoping us out one by one. I never got picked. I stood in the line every time as the boys passed me by hoping for one time around the rink. 6th grade, nothing, 7th, maybe I got picked once when the girl next to me said no and I just happened to be standing there. And then the ultimate humiliation: 8th grade, the "popular" boy stops right in front of me and points, I am thrilled, I put my finger to my chest "me?" Just as I am making that move, the girl next to me skates out and grabs his hand, leaving me slinking away, giving up line up's forever.

So, back to the first grade skating party. I look around, see the joy on the children's faces, see my daughter squealing with joy and hope that the "line up" is banished forever.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Too funny - Jerry and I love taking our boys roller skating! We'll have to take Hanna soon!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you didn't tell me all this back when you were in middle school. It would have cost me a few sleepless nights. Now, however, I can say something philosophical like, "In the long run, you learned more about life than the popular girls who got chosen."
Dad