A group of Bethany runners and friends of Bethany runners all met in their matching t-shirts at the early hour of 6;15 to get downtown Grand Rapids on time. It was cold. It was windy. It was dark. It was rainy. But we were committed. As we walked into the brutal wind down Michigan ave towards the starting point, the rain stung our faces. Despite this weather a record 22,000 people had signed up to run, plus all their supporters and volunteers. It was hard to be anxious or frustrated with the weather when you are a part of something so big. What an amazing sense of community to be part of a group so big all working for the same goal. Strangers giving you 5 and cheering you on. Music pumping, people laughing and cheering, everyone encouraging one another.
We met a stray runner, and in true Bethany fashion "adopted" her into our group. No one should have to run alone. We made her do all our cheers with us and huddled in the cold with her.
As the we lined up for the race, packed into the corral like sardines, you can't help but make friends with those sharing your space. The guy next to us was barefoot! He might be trendy, but I do not envy him when he steps on a piece of gravel.
As we started you could hardly move slowly, approaching the start line, the pace picked up and I could walk fast. Then we cross the line, start our run and.... Stop. I guess there was a big of a bottle neck. So we slowly start moving again and are able to get our pace (a poor woman next to me stepped into a pot hole and fell!)
There were so many people the entire run was constant dodging others. It involved a lot of "strategery". (Especially since I was having problems keeping my pants up) At one point some pedestrians crossed the road right in front of us. I had to stop completely! I yelled "THIS IS A VERY BAD CHOICE YOU ARE MAKING!"
At about the 2 mile mark, Belinda (my running partner) and I hear "Left, Left, Left, Right, Left". And just like that a group of Marines in formation, carrying flags and drill sergeants running backwards. We ran the rest of the race next to them. I am not a patriotic person and and very "peace focused" (not that I don't "support our troops", but I am just not really emotionally connected to them...) but running next to them,seeing their team work and listening their "chants" was very inspiring.
So as Belinda and I crossed the finish line hand in hand to the time of 38.22 we felt that we could have kept going. The coveted "runners high" was achieved. We prevailed.

The reason I committed to this run in the first place is summed up well by my friend Pablo Picasso "I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
I would encourage all of you faithful readers, to think about this and commit to something new to try. I am not sure what my next adventure will be, but I am excited to find it!" (I did try mussels last night and really liked them!) Would love to know what challenges you have accomplished and if you have any ideas for me... I might consider them! GO TEAM!
3 comments:
Congratulations on completing the race and doing it with style!! Happy Mother's day too! I hope you are doing some extra special today.
Way to go girl! SO proud of you and all the Bethany Crew! 10k next year, right? :)
Honored to have shared the experience with you, my friend! Partners at work, and now running partners too. Such a blessing to have a co-worker like you!
Post a Comment