Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Giving Thanks

"A thankful heart is not only the greatest virtue, but the parent of all the other virtues." ~Cicero

It is that time of year where people take inventory of all their blessings. I have so much to be thankful for, but instead of some of the obvious things I will try to focus on some of the more subtle things I have been thankful for in the past year:

1. Facebook. It has been about a year I have signed up. Now I am able to connect with (o.k. stalk) all of my "friends". Not only can I observe all the goings on of those people around me, I can also clue them in on my exciting life hour by hour if I want! I should also mention blogging here. I am thankful for all the people who blog that let me stalk their lives in more detail and for all the people who read mine, since I love to blog!

2. 5$ pizza. Although it is now the $5.15 pizza it is still quick, easy, cheap, and my kids eat it. I have eaten a $5 pizza at least once a week this entire year. The added bonus to eating so much cheap pizza is that when you invite me over for pizza and it is not from Little Ceasrrs, I am very impressed. Also my chef hubby has promised me I never have to cook another meal in my life since it stresses me out so much. Of course I am thankful for him to, but that's pretty obvious, $5 pizza is way more creative...

3. Wicked soundtrack. So this has been my theme for the entire year. I downloaded last December and have listened to it at least once pretty much every day since. Not only is it a great soundtrack, but it is full of good life lessons. I love to sing along in the car, listen to my kids sing the songs, and find happiness in the story. DEFY GRAVITY!!!

4. Baby Monitors. I know I don't have babies, but this is the greatest invention of all time. I can place it in my bedroom window and pick up the signal in my neighbor's driveways so we can be social after bedtime. There is nothing better than a group of friends, a campfire and a lawn chair on a summer night...My parents used to call the neighbors, keep the phone off the hook and spend the evening playing cards across the street with the phone outside our bedroom door. Some how that doesn't seem quiet as safe, but now I understand the desperation for a night out!

5. Quakers. I have to assume they are the inventors of Oatmeal, the one and only breakfast food my daughter will somewhat consistently eat. (except not this morning, she fought and cried and complained about it for 45 minutes.)

6. Cell phone insurance. I'm on my 3rd phone of the year. 1st one was lost (and of course found 6 months later in the cell phone pocket of the stroller...) 2nd one went through the washer and the dryer. Totally fried. 3rd one fell in the toilet. So now I am on the 4th one. I should also be thankful here for patient friends and family who continue to give me their numbers since I never back them up and lose the #'s when I fry the phone...

7. Still developing verbal skills. My kids are 6 and almost 4 and they still have these adorable things they say incorrectly that I just love and do not want to correct. Hanna still calls her Aunt Beth, "Aunt Bef". Abby likes to eat "panpakes" for breakfast and recently began saying "iminent" instead of isn't it. It is also still cute when they say things like "You are ruining my life!" Since at 6 she has no "life" and she is still afraid of me and hugs me and apologizes when I tell her that was inappropriate. In about 6 more years, that will not be cute at all!

8. My parent's house. So this one is a little sappy... I know that no matter what happens in life, not matter the stress or the chaos, I get to go to my parents every Sunday and get fed, play Settlers of Catan, steal their coupons, relax on their deck, and not have to worry about being anyone else, but myself.

9. Target. What is it about this crazy store that I love? I tried to give it up for lent last year and made it about 10 days. Not only does it have everything you could ever need, the cheapest Fiber 1 bars in town and 1$ popcorn and pop to keep the kids happy, it also has everything you do not need and now that you have seen it, realize you can not live with out it.

10. Digital converter box. We do not have cable. By choice since we do not want our lives ruled by television and also for budgetary reasons. We did recently get the converter box, which has added 3 new stations to our 3 original stations. 2 of them are pretty lame weather info, but the extra PBS station that focuses on travel and food is really pretty exciting!


"Not what we say about our blessings, but how we use them, is the true measure of our thanksgiving." ~W.T. Purkiser

5 comments:

The Adamski Family said...

Love it Sarah. You are such an awesome blogger

Deb said...

I did NOT know you were a Settlers fan! Love it! I miss playing that game. We used to do it on a weekly basis. Now I haven't played in months. Sad :(

Anonymous said...

Didn't know Sundays had that much significance. Too bad our New Year's Resolution was going to be "No more Sunday dinners."
Dad

Anonymous said...

I have spent part of the morning catching up on your blog. I am thankful for an entertaining, inspiring, and wonderful co-worker and friend :).

Curt, Pam, Ryan and Carissa said...

I love reading your blog. I just larned how to add favorites to mine so I am adding yours if that is OK. I also LOVE Target - too much that I try to stay away!!