Friday, May 14, 2010

excuses vs reasons

This winter I decided to run a 5k. I was not going to do it for many reasons, including "I hate to run" and I can't do it". As I sat around the work lunch room table, I listen to everyone saying the same thing and I realized...These are just excuses. We all CAN run, we might not like it, but if we want to do it, we could. We just don't want to do the hard work to acomplish it. At that moment was when I decided to run. Not because I wanted to, but because I did not like letting excuses drive my decision. I realize I make exuses for a lot of things. Getting up late in the morning, not going on overnight hiking trips with my husband, diets, exercising...I can do all these things. There is no *reason* I can not, I just don't want to so I come up with excuses.

Today I saw my foot dr. I asked him about running. He said, and I quote, "Running is the WORST exercise you can do for your body. Unless you really enjoy it, I would not recommend running, for anyone." That, to me, is a *reason* not to run. (and just when I was getting into it)

I have no reason not to go hiking with my husband, I just don't want to work that hard. I have no reason I can not lose weight, I just don't want to give up all the food. I have no reason I hit snooze for 45 minutes, I am just way to lazy to get up.

Why am I willing to drop everything, leave my family, fly for 30 hours to spend a week working in a third world ocuntry with pollution, slow internet, weird food and little electricity. Because I get something out of it. The pain is totally worth the rewards. Some reasons are much easier to find that others.

I encourange you readers to challenge yourself to give up an excuse for something and find a reason to try it. Now that running is out of the picture do to a good reason (injury), I am going to find my next challenge... I promised my husband and overnight hiking trip (I really don't like taking a day off of showering or sleeping in a teeny tiny tent I carried on my back all day). I am also going to learn to Dutch Dance. I have always wanted to do it and always had an excuse. This year, I am going all out, wooden shoes and all. Don't worry though readers, there are still plenty of things I will not do and I promise to share my lame excuses with you : )

1 comment:

Musings from Kim K. said...

You MUST promise to post pictures of you dutch dancing...pretty please!!