I am all about team work and I am all about positive attitudes, so when my co-workers decided to put together a running team for the 5/3rd 5k, I, against my better judgement, decided to sign up. I had run a 5k before. I was capable. Go team Holland Bethany! We even got a free t-shirt! 
A little history. I am not a runner. But I really like the idea of running. Those sleek wicking t-shirts, bandana around the head, earbuds in, stridding down the road in heat or rain or cold. Those runners are always impressing me as I drive by in the car with a frosty in my hand. I could just see my long Dutch legs making graceful strides on the pavement, shoulders back, head held high.

Last time I trained to run this same 5K I had two injuries along the way, both which set back my training, both which required me to wear a walking cast (aka huge black boot) for months. I invested in shoes and clothes, I ran the race, walking a bit and the moment it ended I said "Never again".
But as you read above, I committed. I have kept up pretty well with the training program, was managing alright, despite the constant case of shin splints, but I perservered. (I think this is mostly due to the inspiring GLEE sound track I listen to when I run) This past Saturday my training program called me to run 2 miles, walk 5 minutes, run 1 mile. This would be a big one for me and I had to do it outside and I had to do it by myself. So I put on my cute bandana, my yoga capri stretchy pants and my brand new Bethany wicking t-shirt. I cliped my Ipod shuffle to my shirt and started in...About 10 steps into it my pants started to fall down. Apparently yoga wear is not transferable to running(p.s. I don't do yoga, I just have the clothes). As I am pulling my pants up, my shuffle unclips from my shirt and rips the earpbud out of my right ear. I deal with the shuffle, go back to the pants and just as I feel situationed the shuffle is off again. As I try to get that clipped back on, turn a corner onto a busy street and remember to breathe, my pants start falling down. Again. I am also noticing my tank top style sports bra is starting to ride up. So
I re-adjust all clothing. I am about a 1/2 mile into the run now just holding my pants up at all times, when the shuffle aborts my shirt again. REALLY! So now I realize that the shirt is just to slippery. I contemplate clipping it to my pants, but the extra 2 oz of weight might keep them falling down. I clip it on the v-neck of my shirt as my right arm is getting caught in the cord. I finnally get the cord stuffed down my shirt, both earbuds in place and my pants back up. Then my bandana falls off. Do I really need to keep going? My shirt is up, my pants are down, I have head phones tucked in to my bra and my bandana is MIA, I have just finished my first mile.
The next 2 miles were more of the same exept add some walking in with the running. Now, 2 days later I sit with a swollen ankle wrapped in an ace bandage and after all that training and humiliation these past few months I may not even be able to run the race after all. Maybe I should just take up yoga.
For an even better running story, click HERE
3 comments:
You don't know how much I needed this post today. I'm still smiling picturing you in all your running splendor.
PS. I've been known to tuck my MP3 player in my bra when mowing the grass. Hey - It's vital to have the right tunes and my mowing shorts don't have pockets.
Weren't you one of the faithful few that stuck close to my slow-running self in middle school gym class? I was the one running the 9 minute mile, yes, I still remember my time because I was the last one in right alongside David R. and it was humiliating. Seriously. I give you much credit. I haven't really run since, unless you count the times they made us run in HS around the track, or x-country style through the whole school grounds. Mostly I just walked those. I'd given up on running by age 12 or 13. While you look at those runners and aspire to be them, I just look at them and shake my head saying "glad it's not me!"
you crack me up..........I am laughing out loud!!!
Post a Comment