Wednesday, August 27, 2008

To Do List

A while ago I posted about things adults should not do (Cartwheels). Tonight I am feeling a little happier so, faithful readers, as promised, I will write about things adults should do (fun, child like things, not dishes or laundry, which I am doing now...)

Swinging: Now this is a tricky one since most swings are the bendy kind that squeeze your hips, so I recommend going to Empire Beach, it's in Empire MI (In Leelanau County, right on Lake Michigan). They have great swings for adults. Nice hard swings with very long chains so you can go extra high and do not drag your feet. It is also in sand so the jumping is great! Remember if you are motion sick just keep your eye on the horizon.

Riding the waves: since you are already at Empire beach for the swings, the next best thing is the waves. Now I already know what you are thinking Lake Michigan is cold. Well, tough it out mister! Jump in, pick a wave and let mother nature take over (mother nature is in charge of waves right?)

Sing a silly song: I prefer Laurie Berkner, she has some really good ones, but grab the hand of a child and walk through the parking lot singing at the top of your lungs like you are three years old. "Victor Vito and Freddy Vasco, ate a burrito, with tabasco, they put it on their rice, (clap clap) they put it on their beans (clap clap) on their rutabega and on their collard greens...
*Note the picture is in Disney World where we are skipping singing "Zipadee do da"

Pick your nose in public: Ha, that was a test to make sure you are still paying attention. Don't do that, I repeat, DO NOT DO THAT!

Run down a sand dune: clearly I was very inspired by my recent vacations since all of these things I did a few weeks ago. But running down a dune is a great feeling of total freedom and whimsy (not really sure what whimsy is but it sounds good doesn't it!). Tip: bring baby powder along it helps take the sand off.

Take off your watch: for an entire day, forget about time and do what you want when you want. (thanks Belinda for this reminder!)

So faithful readers, I shall leave you with a few inspiring quotes from my favorite website...Story People

"If you hold on to the handle, she said, it's easier to maintain the illusion of control. But it's more fun if you just let the wind carry you." ~Story People

"There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here: to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good." ~Story People

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! I made your blog! Can I add to your list? How about riding your bike or driving in your car to the beach at the end of the day (if you are blessed to live close enough to the beach) and watch the last few minutes of the day melt into the sunset. (one of my favorites).