
We have spent a lot of time in English here, the trainings are all done in English, which is WONDERFUL, but the beginning and end of the day we listen to staff pray and sing in Amharic. This is very moving. They are so expressive here. When they sing, they lift their hands to the sky. They bow down. In prayer, they use a loud voice and with all the Amharic intonations and crazy sounds it is almost like someone is getting a major lecture, but you look at their faces and they are at total peace. They nod, and say “amen” over and over while someone is praying. At the end of our training, I asked if we could do an American blessing. We stood in a circle, held hands and sang “My friends may you grow in grace in the glory of our Lord and Savior, my friends may you grow in peace, and in the glory of Jesus Christ, to God be the glory, now and forever, Amen.” It was nice. Next they sang “We are one in the Spirit” in Amharic and then in English. After this, Jill, Sara Ruiter and I were asked to stand in the middle of the circle while they prayed over us. So amazing. We then hugged and said to each other “Oh de se lu, Oh de he lu” Which means “I like you”. It is so amazing to have such a bond with a group of people that have known each other for 2 days. We are so different in so many ways, but so alike in our hearts.

We had an amazing discussion about HIV today. The question was raised “When do you tell children they are positive?” This is a question we ask all the time in the states and also they ask here. There are many children in group homes/orphanages that take medicine every day, and ask what for, but the staff are so afraid to tell them because of the stigma. This weighs so heavy on my heart. I will have to keep this thought and discussion going at home. I feel that taking away this stigma, is a part of my passion. How can I be a part of making the world better for HIV + children? It hurts my heart.

I will also share just a little about our schedule for the 2 days of training we had. We were supposed to meet at 9:00, of course this is not how it happens, 9:30 is more like it. They blame the traffic, which is bad, but I am a timely person. I have to be a little more opened minded on this I think. Then we sing and pray and maybe start the training closer to 10. But no worries, we have a break at 10:30 for tea and cake. Then training until lunch, which lasts about 90 minutes and then another break at 3:30 for tea and cake. We finish at 4:30.
I love tea time. This cultural norm I would like to bring back to the states.
No comments:
Post a Comment