Saturday, February 13, 2010

Birtukan

Today we were invited to lunch with Bertekan in her home. She made us spaghetti. It was spicy! We drank Pepsi from dirty bottles and ate spaghetti and listened to her story. It is an amazing story that if you ever get a chance to meet her you will have to ask. I do not know if I should share it, but I can share with you the passion. Birtukan did not have an easy life. She worked hard from childhood, but believed in God, attended church and ended up being sponsored through World Vision. When Birtukan graduated from high school she wanted so badly to work and serve God. She ended up working for World Vision teaching trades to street women. She is very creative and talented so she taught the woman jewelry making. She then began working for other American missions doing the same community type work. Birtukan knew she had so much to give. Her life was changed when she met an American man who was retired and crippled, but still found money to sponsor a child. She said to God: “God, I have my hands and my feet, I have a healthy body! Please use me.” She felt this passion to work with orphans. She met 2 men who wanted to marry her, but did not share her vision for orphans, so she declined. Finally she met Nesibu and he also believed in her vision so, as Nesibu says, “I passed her test and we could marry.” So, they are now married with 4 beautiful children and have founded and run Yezelelum Minch which works with over 800 children in Addis and surrounding areas. They also have 2 group homes with about 12 children total that are being placed for adoption. She is an amazing woman. I love her.

1 comment:

Belinda said...

I want to meet her so I can love her too. Someday.