
This afternoon we became tourists and headed up to Mt. Entoto. This was a lovely drive in a not so lovely van. Our driver was wild man and I could not fit in the seats so had to sit sideways. But the ride up the mountain was lovely. It was time for school to be dismissed so the children were running down the road in their uniforms full of joy. The goats and sheep and cows and dogs were all wandering just like they do on the

city streets, but it made more sense up here. I will never stop being surprised when I am sharing a busy road with a farm animal, but in the mountains it seems a little more appropriate in my Western mind. (my regular driver Danny, knows I am fixated on these animals so always helps me spot them and get pictures). The other very interesting sight on the mountain, are the “stick women” (this is my name for them). Every morning the women climb up

the mountain and gather “sticks” (6-7 feet long branches), bundle them up with twine and carry them back down the mountain on their backs. The load must be about 50 pounds and the women are bent in half. They are almost all barefoot. I can not imagine such a job. (also in the city everywhere are construction workers who are barefoot in mud with machete type tools and shovels digging ditches and holes.).


Our reason to go on this trip was to visit 2 of the older Orthadox churches and the first Palace in Addis Ababa. This was very interesting and relaxing. I had been to Orthadox churches in Kiev and assumed it would be similar, huge building with gold every where. I guess it is

easy to forget I am in Africa. The churches were round and simple. They were very colorful and had no gold. One we could go inside, the other we could just walk around. The “palace” was more of a large “hut”, thatched roof, a few big open rooms and that is all. We

saw a few monks and nuns walking around. The grounds of the churches were dirty and full of random piles of debris. As we left the Church it was prayer time so there were many people there

dressed in white scarves praying and one woman on her knees wailing in agony. There were many beggars there, many of them children following you around. The children are tricky. They beg me to take their pictures and when I do they say “give me money for picture!” When I do not give them money, they give me dirty looks.




No comments:
Post a Comment