This blog is from a guest blogger, Jill VanderBent about our time in Ethiopia
The first day we arrive in Ethiopia we were shown the town and did some shopping at the Post Office shopping place. We shopped for very affordable souvenirs. While we were shopping we met some young boys who were there selling gum, and begging. They were very cute and Sarah and I enjoyed talking with them and teasing them. When they first spotted us they yelled “Mother”. Sarah and I found this very humorous and began our banter with them. One boy was drawn to me because he liked my shoes. He had some old beat up, worn down tennis shoes on and said he needed my black shoes with white stripes to play soccer. I joked with him and informed him that if I gave him my shoes I would have nothing to wear. I joked with him that I enjoyed soccer as well. He found this humorous but still attempted to gain my shoes by softly begging and puppy dog eyes. I ended up giving him some money and some candy.
About 5 days later we returned to our favorite shopping place and yet again the boys were there. They yelled “Sarah” from across the street, which was much better than the “mother” we had previously been called. Again my friend wanted my shoes but I joked with him again. I told him that I loved the cross necklace he was wearing and showed him mine. I attempted to tell him this was good in Amharic. He allowed me to take his picture and I informed him that he was “Con Jo”, which means cute. He loved this and blushed! I indicated that we were due to leave in 1 more day back to the US. He wanted to know if I would ever return and the only response I had was “God willing”. He replied, “me too”. This was very sweet. So I gave him a little money, and we said our goodbyes.
As we pulled away in our cab, Samuel came running after us. This was so sweet, but little did I know he was running after us to throw his cross into the window at me. I lipped thank you and he was smiling so big. I was so touched by this gesture and could not believe he wanted me to have his cross. I was smiling ear to ear and also trying not to cry at the same time.
The next day was our last day and still could not believe that Samuel wanted me to have his cross. To me this little boy had very little to his possession, begged often for money, yet gave me his necklace. I knew that before I left Ethiopia I had

to find him and give him my shoes. Luckily he was there again and I waved him over to our car. As I handed him my shoes, he smiled at me with great excitement and immediately sat down to put them on. He loosed the laces and stretched them out wide in attempt to squeeze his feet into them. We were both very bummed when they didn’t fit but he asked me so sweetly, “may I give them to my sister”. Absolutely I say and I give him a pad of paper, and tell him “God bless you”. He writes down his name and said, “don’t forget”.
1 comment:
Well done Jill, a touching story!
Post a Comment