Tuesday, July 22, 2008
270 steps
"We lay there & looked up at the night sky & she told me about stars called blue squares & red swirls & I told her I'd never heard of them. Of course not, she said, the really important stuff they never tell you. You have to imagine it on your own."~ Brian Andreas, Story People
We were camping last weekend and had a "walk in" site deep in the woods (my mother-in-law informed me it was 334 steps to the car, so I counted and only had 270, but I have longer legs). There was some general unhappiness about this walk, especially carrying all of our gear. At about 11:00 p.m. the "adults" (I do not consider myself an adult when on vacation with parents, but sometimes I still have to do adult things) were enjoying the fire and the bugs and the promise of a raccoon invasion, Abby yelled "I have to go potty!" I thought this would be a great time to show her how to pee in the woods (I am an expert you see and have given many lessons). She, on the other hand, decided the bathroom was a much better option. So my husband (God bless him!) took her. Little did I
know what I missed. Then entire 270 steps ( he has long legs too) Miss Abby chatted about life, love and happiness in the woods. She shared her dreams, her silly thoughts, her favorite times and all of her wonderful 3 year old perspectives. Josh came back and seemed content with his walk. I think he wished it was way more than 270 steps. When you are carrying a cooler, it may be a lot. But when you are caring a 3 year old with a story... it is never enough.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment