Thursday, July 24, 2008

Scavenger Hunts

"I used to believe my father about everything but then I had children myself & now I see how much stuff you make up just to keep yourself from going crazy."~Brian Andreas, Story People

When I was growing up I thought my dad was the coolest! He always had the best, m0st creative ideas. My favorite was the scavenger hunt. Dad would sit on the front porch and make a long list of creative things we had to do. "count all the windows on the Jagers house, pick up 25 sticks that are smaller than your thumb, ride your bike around the block 5 times...." The list would go on and on and we would take off with a mission and not be home for hours. The other night, the neighbors and I were trying to relax and talk and the kids were just bugging and bothering. And idea popped into my head "A scavenger hunt! That will get them out of here for a while!" At that moment a tear slipped down my cheek as my childhood scavenger hunts came back to me. Instead of seeing a happy group of kids darting around the neighborhood with my dad anxiously waiting for me, I saw a bunch of suckers picking up sticks while my dad sat in a lawn chair and read a book. Well, it took me a while to figure it out, but thanks for the lesson dad!!!

*Note, my dad was and still is the coolest. He taught me a lots of good lessons in life, gave me a love of coffee, books, travel, humor, and passion for world peace, culture, social justice and peaceful front porch moments.

*Note 2: I might be quoting Brian Andreas often, click on the link by the quote for some great stories!

No comments: