Sunday, August 31, 2008

Building Charecter Through Coupons

"Industry, thrift and self-control are not sought because they create wealth, but because they create character." ~Calvin Coolidge

Well, I am turning over a new leaf in my life: coupons. I know faithful readers, you are shocked. You respect me as a spontanious (lazy), creative (lazy), fly by the seat of my pants (lazy) person. But, budgets are tight, as they are for many of you, so,I am being taught, by my beloved sister, the art of cutting coupons. Now the issue here is this new venture involves a lot, and I mean a lot of planning. I have a coupon organizer. I have lists (yes, lists are plural, you can just have one list). Coupons are divided into multiple categories and by store.

I will try to give you some insight into the process by sharing with you, faithful readers, my strategy.

Rule #1: Sunday paper, now I am smart and use my parents so I do not have to buy one, (see already savings!) Then I cut out every possible coupon I could ever possibly want. So, for example today I cut out Tide, deodarant, razors, General Mills cereal, a few others. Then the trick is, you go back though and think, if I could ever possibly get something for free would I want it and therefore, I should cut the coupon. Now this gets a little hard to understand. Here is an example: Lets say there was a coupon for $3.00 off hearing aid batteries. Now those of you who know me, know I do NOT wear hearing aids, but lets say, 3 months from now hearing aid batteries go on sale for $6.00 and there is a $3.00 mail in rebate? Well I now have free hearing aid batteries to store in my closet until someday I might need them. Isn't this great!!!!

Rule #2: Read every sale insert. So, I start with Family Fare, move on to Meijer, then Aldi and Target. I should also look at Walgreens, CVS and Rite Aid. In the back of my mind I try to remember the cost of things at Sam's Club and Costco just in case. Oh, and there is often a Gordon Food's add. So then I have lists for all these places where everything is the best deal. Attach my coupons to this and start my shopping!


Rule #3: Go to every store you might want something. See those nice Sunday adds do not tell you everything. You might think goldfish crackers are on sale at Family Fare, but they are still cheaper at Meijer. Or the peanut butter that is on sale 3/$5 at Walgreens is only Chunky and your kids only eat smooth. Of course this involves multiple trips to multiple stores and by the end you may be bribing children with things that are not on sale so you need to figure gas, time and bribes into the savings equation.

So here is a true story of my coupon savings in action...
Spend Sunday afternoon scrounging through my parent's paper cutting out coupons, comparing adds, making lists and going through old coupons to through away expired ones (and to determine if there might be anything I could possibly get for free that I do not need). Then take my multiple lists and turn them into one master list, attach coupons with a paperclip. Then I determine that I must shop tonight since tomorrow is a holiday and school starts the next day and I must be prepared with healthy snacks for my picky eater. (scratch picky eater, DEFIANT eater). Then realize there was not an add for Target or Aldi or Rite Aid. First go to Target to confirm their deals are not as good as others. Drive to Aldi to realize they are closed on Sunday evening as is Gordon Foods. Go to Meijer, stick completely to list, only three things I need are not on sale. (Spent $35.00 saved $38.00 WHOOO HOOO!). Next stop Family Fare, two items needed are milk and lunch meat. Oops, it is 8:45, and the deli closes, sometime between 8:00 and 9:00, skip lunch meat, pick up milk. (only to discover on the way home it is a leaky milk jug). Determine I do not have enough time to even attempt Walgreens or browse Rite Aid. And this is just a quick trip between big trips...
Isn't is a great feeling to be organized and saving money! (Comment to be read dripping with sarcasm...)

"Waste your money and you're only out of money, but waste your time and you've lost a part of your life." ~Michael Leboeuf

2 comments:

Amy Tol said...

Wow, I really identify. Every time I try to do the organized coupon/savings thing, I just end up doing extra stress-eating after my shopping. I probably end up literally eating away any savings I made in the first place...

Rachel said...

I get tired even thinking about such shenanigans. But then when I think of it, this week I'm shopping at the farmer's market and Meijer and Walgreens. Sigh.