Thursday, August 21, 2008

My Jewel

To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly. No exceptions. ~William James

It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. ~e.e. cummings

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss


About a year ago I got my nose pierced. This seems a pretty minor thing to do. Maybe a bit of a mid life crisis (1/3 life crisis I hope!). I did this because I liked the "nose jewel" as my children call it. This seems very simple but to me, this was big. I had done something I wanted to do, with out worrying what other people were thinking of me. I had spent my life until this point really walking on tip toes around every issue and opinion as to not offend someone. I would be constantly worried what other people though of me and worry that I was being judged. Over the course of my 30th year I did some self discovery, got over some fears and realized it did not matter if someone did not like me for who I am, so, I made an impulse decision and poked a hole through my nose. For those who are wondering. No, It did not hurt. No, it does not bother me, I can not even feel it. No "things" do not get caught on it. There has been one significant consequence to my small act of rebellion though...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's funny!! The girls just wanna be like their cool momma! Not sure if I believe you that "things" don't get stuck on there though.... :)