Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Neighbours to the North

I have this wonderful sister-in-law, Nelly, who is a real Canadian. I know it is very exotic, but we do our best to pretend she is just a normal American. We were on a family vacation this weekend and had a few lessons in the Canadian language. I will share some tips with you, faithful readers, so you can someday impress a Canadian.
1. Semi trucks are called TRANSPORTS
2. The letter Z is referred to at all times as ZED. So in singing the alphabet song you finish of singing "X, Y, Zed, next time won't you sing with me..."
3. Colored pencils are called "pencil crayons" (I think I got that one right, Nels, sorry-with a long o, if I remembered incorrectly...)
4. Kickball is referred to as "soccer baseball". Nelly can not confirm if this is true Canadian or just her own weird name.
*****this has been confirmed by multiple Canadians (8/20/08)
5. The Canadian capitol building is not, contrary to popular belief, made of ice.
6. They do have summer in Canada and it actually becomes rather warm, Canadians can go swimming, camping, hiking, biking just like us!
7. And of course we learned how to properly use "eh". The best way to use it is when you are looking for affirmation. So when American's finish a sentence with the word "right", "eh" can be substituted. For example: "This is a pretty good beer, eh?" NEVER say "I like beer, eh"(side note Canadians only drink beer never water)
8. No one, even a true Canadian citizen, born and bred, knows all the words to the Canadian National Anthem. (Right now you are all singing "Oh Canada, my home and native land" and then stop, eh? Great use of eh, eh?)

I hope this little lesson proves helpful if you ever have to communicate with a Canadian. Thank you dear sister-in-law for all of the laughter and joy you have brought to our family!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! I have tears of laughter running down my face!! Great post, Sarah. I'm flattered that you dedicated an entire post to me. Perhaps in true Canadian fashion, your post should be titled "NeighboUrs to the North". Can't forget that ever-important "U"!! :)

Deb said...

Oh yes, it's colour and honour and all that jazz. I loved it! I married into a Canadaian family so this was great!

LaDawn said...

You made me laugh, Sarah. I will have you know, though, that I can sing the whole Canadian national anthem. :) Someone told me the other day that they could tell I was Canadian by the way I said "resources". Apparently in this word, our "s" is pronounced with a "zed" sound, not an "s" sound.