
On the way to Awassa we stopped to give children our leftovers. We were mobbed by kids coming out of nowhere to beg us for food. We could not take it. So on the way home we bought bags and bags and bags of mangos and bananas to feed children. We told our driver

to look out for small children and after a while he pulled over. Blen (of the of Bethany social workers) told the children they would get 2 pieces of fruit and not to beg. They all lined up nicely and took their banana and mango. I have never seen such happiness. The parents stood in the back at watched, so happy for their children. Blen and Helina said the children we so happy and totally surprised. Nothing like this had ever happened to them before. We did the same thing with 2 more groups of children. I have never

seen children so grateful for fruit. They were in shock. They came to the van and smiled! I took pictures of them and then showed it to them. They had never seen a camera before and I realized when I showed them the picture, many of them had never seen themselves before. It was astounding. Most of the children were half naked. All of them were filthy with

brown teeth. I am not sure what to think of this experience. I am sad for them that they have so little and will spend there life doing hard labor for little money, but I am also wondering if

this is my dream I am projecting on them and maybe they are very content in their huts, with their family, their clan. They do not know the world outside of the country. It is not my place to judge, but my heart still hurts.


1 comment:
Finally caught up with your blog entries, Sarah. Wow - gone for a few days to Iowa and look how much I missed. So so happy for you and Jill. And so so jealous :). Hurry home soon. We miss you.
Post a Comment