Saturday, February 13, 2010

Group Work

This afternoon, Jill and I were supposed to run a group for the children so the staff could watch. We were asked to be ready at 2:00 and we would work with the group home children that we had already met. I imagined about 6 girls. So, at about 1:30 we find out that they can not start until 3:30 because of an interview. We were at Burtekan’s house waiting and at about 2:30, children started showing up, children of all ages and gender. They just kept coming and coming. No staff, no adults, no one spoke English expect Burtekan’s oldest son (12 years old). So we were going to improvise. I started handing out name tags, Jill started playing soccer in the 12x15 dirt yard. The kids were telling us their names, we were taking pictures and letting them take pictures. The sun was shinning and besides the language barrier and the tiny space we were starting to get to know each other. Just when I was starting to wonder what they wanted us to do, Yosef shows up with 2 other staff. (One, I found out later, was the accountant… go figure.) He walked us around the corner to the church where there was a bigger dirt yard to run the groups. We started with one big group of about 25 children and did a few games. We then broke off into 2 groups, Jill leading one and me leading one, each with a translator. The groups went well and the kids seemed to have fun and were able to do some “work” (as we social workers call it). The whole idea behind this, though, was that the staff would be observing so they could also do the groups. The only staff were two social work administrators and one accountant. As I have learned from her though, “Chigerallah”, It’s no problem. I guess I want them to get the most out of our time here, but I think they are so busy they have to divide and conquer.

When group was over we went back to Burtekan’s and Jill started to play soccer again and I found some time to spend with my newest friend. This little boy is 5 years old. He is the most precious thing (besides my 2 children) that I have ever met. He has an amazing smile and charming laugh and a soft touch. He loved to be held by me and he loved my sunglasses. He also loves hugs. For a while he just let me hold him and rested his head on my shoulder while I rubbed his back. This little boy also had a sister who is 9 years old. She is shy, she loves to play with the other girls in her home group and she is smart. Here is the great thing… They are available for adoption! But they are so special, so loving, such amazing kids, I think they have to go to a very special family. A family that can give them their culture. A family that can give them each what they need emotionally and physically. We have been trying to place these siblings for a long time. These 2 children are amazing, they are a perfect image of Ethiopian culture (love, respect, affection and hard work). The boy is HIV positive. Please do not be afraid. He is a boy, he loves to be kissed and hugged and given piggy back rides. He loves to play catch and play football. He loves his sister and his sister loves him. He is a 5 year old boy, with a 9 year old sister. With NO parents, no home, no family.

1 comment:

Belinda said...

Beautifully said, Sarah. God will find a family for these 2. God and you. God and your blog. Great story you will be able to tell some day. I miss you. Will you ever be content in Michigan again :)?