Also on the side of the road in the country there are people selling random things: stools, onions, watermelon, “firewood” (piles of sticks and straw). Our driver stopped twice to buy this to bring home. He just climbed on top of the van and the seller would throw it up there and off we would go. He would not even tie it down!
We often had to stop for donkeys, goats and cows crossing the road. We also had to stop for a policeman who randomly checks drivers license. There are many hitchhikers who are looking for rides back to Addis Ababa on Sunday. Instead of a thumbs up, they hold both palms up in the air. We saw only one person smoking. ONLY ONE! In fact I have been here for over a week and this is the 2nd person I have seen smoking with the exception of a few Western People. Amazing.
The country has many Orthodox people. Anytime they walk past a church they stop and bow and cross themselves three times out of respect. We saw people doing this a lot on the road. Orthodox people also drape themselves in white cloth. We saw Muslims praying in their fields and on the side of the road. We could hear the Orthodox and Muslim prayers through loud speakers in the little towns. The great thing is, they all live peacefully and respectfully.
I still can not get over how often I see men walking hand in hand. I see this more often than I do not. I am so touched by this and dread going back to our homophobic culture where it is horrible for men to touch beyond a hearty hand shake.
As we drove, I just kept thinking, “I am in Africa.” I started thinking about what I wanted to write and looked at my pictures and realized there are no words for this experience. It is just too big. My mind can not make sense of what I am seeing and feeling. There is NOTHING like this in the States, NOTHING. There is nothing like this anywhere I have ever been. I wish you all could smell the smells, hear the words, see the people, feel the breeze…everything because there really is no way to make it real unless you are here.
2 comments:
You are doing your best to make it real for us. Thank you for taking the time to write all these details/all these experiences down, Sarah.
I wish there was a Blog Award for excellence....you certainly would win! I love keeping up with your blog and am currently reading it to co-workers. Thanks for taking me with you on your travels ;-)
Post a Comment