
I have been wanting to write about my job (International Adoption Social worker at Bethany Christian Services) for a while now and this quote inspired me. (To be honest I have not been that inspired lately, I guess this is why I will never write the great American Novel.) I am passionate about a lot of things, but there is one thing I get to do on a daily basis and that is my greatest passion.
There are 143 Million orphans in the world. 143 MILLION!!! Every day I get to be a part of placing these children in their forever families. So that means I get to hang out with a lot of forever families. These families are the greatest people I have ever met. They let me pry into their lives, learn from them, hopefully teach them and share their family with me. I also get to say things like "I will call the Department of Homeland Security (Yes, I do have a phone number to Homeland Security, and no, they do not answer the phone) and see if they have approved the 1600A form" or "we found out your case is out of p.g.n. and into C.R. and so you can start working on your 1864 , I604 and DS230 part A and B until we hear about the pink slip". See, don't I sound super important. I actually received an award from Dept of Homeland Security (well Bethany did, but they handed it to me) for doing such a good job. I
also get to use words like duty of candor, espionage and moral torpitude. I did not even go to law school! But my favorite things to say are "Congratulations, it's a boy!" Or "you have to be in China next week to pick up your daughter". But seriously for a minute: these children need homes. These children go to bed at night alone, no one rocks them, comforts them, brushes their hand over their head as they are asleep. No one can teach them about family and unconditional love. They are one person with an ache to be loved, cared for and individual. These 143 million children around the world could be your son or daughter.
3 comments:
Well said! I find it a privilege to work alongside of you as we find forever families for these 143 million orphans! Your passion and gifts have impacted so many people...including me! :) See you Tuesday as we continue pressing on in this mission!
This is why you are our Social Worker! You do an awesome job and are great in getting things answered. Someday you can tell us "It's a boy!" Hopefully soon! LOL
hmm... I never heard you use the words "duty of candor" or "moral turpitude" with us. Is that something we should've added to our dossier? :)
seriously, we're very thankful that you do what you do: And we think you're very good at itQ We're not the Department of Homeland Security or anything, but we would certainly say you deserve your own award for a job well-done!
Post a Comment