Saturday, July 5, 2008

Opposites


My mom has been waiting for me to write about her in the "people I love" series. I have decided to retire that series as it was intentioned just for my hubby and kids. I do love my mom, dearly. But my blog might be a little lame if I kept sticking to the same format. Also, besides my mom, people might not be that interested in a factual list about her. So, I have to be a little more witty.

If you know me, or if you know my mom, you know we are total opposites. Really my whole life is a subtle rebellion of becoming her. Where she is organized, I am frazzled. When she has routine, I have spontaneity Where she is clean, I am messy. (Although, I am working on the messy and organized I refuse to settle into routine.)

Planning: As a child this is what ruled our lives: Monday, spaghetti, Tuesday chicken, Wed, casserole with left over chicken... you get the drift. At my house I do not plan dinner because, remember, I am spontaneous. Monday is "shoot I do not have anything planned for dinner, how about mac and cheese." Tuesday is "shoot I do not have anything planned for dinner how about mac and cheese." Wed is "shoot I do not have anything planned for dinner how about mac and cheese." So as I am writing this I realized that by being sponteous, I have become predictable and boring. I am way worse that my mother!

Here are a few other ways we differ: She is disciplined. I am not. A good example of this is the tread mill (sorry mom, you asked for me to blog about you, you knew I was going to bring this up) Every day, she gets on the treadmill- you heard me right, EVERY SINGLE DAY!! (well not Sunday, and not because it is the sabbath, but because it is all a part of the greater routine) This is opposite enough for me since I get on the treadmill every well... Never. The important part of this point is that she measures out a perfect amount of water-16 ounces- and drinks 1 ounce every 4 minutes so that her water lasts the entire time she is on the treadmill. I AM NOT KIDDING!

O.k., here is another good one: Dedication, She does a crossword puzzle every single day and has done one every day since she was 16. It doesn't matter if she is sick, in labor, or on vacation. She will do one.

I am thinking I should leave it here for a few reasons, She is my mother and could still get me in trouble if I teased her much more (i.e. pajamas) and she is pretty near perfect so if I keep comparing the two of us, I am going to end up looking pretty lame. And of course I like to joke with her, but we all know that her organized, disciplined and dedicated personality is what makes her who she is and she is the BEST EVER!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Your mom is hilarious. The water on the treadmill -- oh my! My sister has a friend who cross stitches on every odd day evening and works on a puzzle every even day evening. But then get this: she doesn't do anything with the cross stitch! When she's finished she pulls it out and does another one on the same cloth.