Thursday, October 16, 2008

General Observations

There are a few things that are the same all over the world. In Beijing China I saw:
-a Calvin peeing bumper sticker (you know the kind you see all over the States, Calvin peeing on a chevy symbol on a ford truck...)
-Chinese characters "written" in the dust of the back of a van that I can only believe said "wash me"
-stuffed animals in the back of windows of cars
-people running to catch a bus, I guess no matter where we live, people will always be late

There are also a few things that really surprised me.
-all the cars here are clean and look new
-the city is very clean
-the city is also very quiet. Think of Chicago and NYC. It is chaos everywhere, horns honking, sirens wailing, people yelling, very aggressive. Now it certainly is not Borculo here, but there I have only heard a few honks, no yelling or gestures, appropriate merging...For such a populated place, they are doing well
-There are no birds, squirrels, city "wild life" at all. I did not really notice the absence of birds until I saw one. Really that is all I saw, ONE
-People, waiting or relaxing somewhere, instead of sitting, squat.
-I have not seen any water, no rivers, lakes, creeks. It seems like most major cities always contain a big river.
-No joggers, runners, exercising that I can see, although I have not seen any parks either...I guess in general I expected more people. If you think about our big cities, people are everywhere, and here in the country of billions, I feel they should be a little more visible.
-And the biggest difference, well I'll just show you...
(It really as not bad at all. All my years of "going" in the woods while camping paid off)

OK and one final, maybe inappropriate thought, even in China, there are really bad hair pieces.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

haha funny stuff. I tried to use a toilet like that in Italy and it was pretty hard to not fall whilst taking care of business :)