"I spent a long time trying to find my center until I looked closely one night & found it had wheels & moved easily in the slightest breeze, so now I spend less time sitting and more time sailing."~Story People
1. If you are a new reader or a faithful reader, please make sure you have read my first post "Things to know when blogging with Sarah"
2. Well, I think there was only just that one...
Before I head out I have to back up a little and tell you why this journey is so important to me, there are a few obvious ones: The fact that I love my job, I mean really love my job. I won't go into it here, but if you need a refresher
why, there are a few post about it (Passion, LMSW). This trip is also a big honor for my agency. I love the work we do at Bethany and feel strongly about our mission. That Bethany was invited to China to assess these kiddos, means that we are respected by this amazing country. And of course that Bethany is allowing me to go to represent them. I am humbled.So now on to a little history:
I was born on a late summer afternoon to... HaHa just kidding, we don't need to go that far back : )
As mentioned before I grew up, and still live in, a very homogeneous community. West Michigan is Dutch and Conservative. It is not just protestant, but CRC and RCA dominated. I met a Lutheran in College for the first time, and I am not kidding when I say I was very surprised that everyone at Calvin was not CRC... I attended college 5 minutes from my home. I have never lived more the 30 minutes away from my parents. I have always worked for Religious organizations. (I am not complaining here at all- I am very happy with all the choices in my life, but you can see I have not had much opportunity for diversity.)
So here are a few acts of rebellion: I married someone who is RCA- and then I converted! I know, scandal. (Actually, there was some minor scandal on his side, but all is forgiven now). I am sending my kids to public school. (In the CRC community this can be a little scandalous.) I got my nose pierced. (see past post "Jewel") And, horror of horrors, I am a die hard liberal. (no posts on this, as I do not want to offend any faithful readers, but a few liberal comments are spread through out the blog).
Well, faithful readers, you might be asking what does this all have to do with China? I'm getting there. (it is a lazy Sunday morning, my kids are playing nicely and I am going to late Church, I have lots of time to make my point) In 2000, my agency sent me to Eastern Europe for a conference. My biggest travel experience up to this point was Gulf Shores Alabama and this is not a big deal since all of W. Michigan goes together (safety in numbers, we can not be left alone with those Southern Baptists!)
So a few valium and 10 hours later I find myself in a 2 room airport in Tirana Albania. This trip, and the following week in Ukraine, changed my life. I learned about the world. History came alive! I saw how desperately the world lived and how surreal life in America really is. I met amazing people. I saw children laying on blankets on busy street corners with parents nowhere to be seen. I ate foods that might not be considered food in America. I held children, that might never know the love of a family.
I came home from that trip realizing what the world has to offer. I realized how much I could learn from this world and the people in it. I learned that W. MI is incredibly sheltered (I hope not to offend anyone with that, just my opinion!) and if I want to continue to grow, diversify myself and "Be the Change I Wish to See in the World" (Ghandi). I have to bring as much of the world back here as I can. So now, 8 years later, I am going to China, where I hope to give something back to this country, but also take a lot away to make me a better wife, mom, social worker, Christian and educator.
No comments:
Post a Comment