Sunday, October 19, 2008

Working in Paradise, Eating in, well, not paradise

Well we had a nice surprise this morning as we did not go to the orphanage, but to a “spring” resort where the children are staying for their Camp. Bethany staff are in a little “villa” with a sitting room downstairs (read: huge wooden throne like chairs with murals painted on the walls) and a living room upstairs (read: chaise lounges and a television bigger than most homes) and three bedrooms with their own bathroom. We have our own private maid who has a room downstairs. Everytime we come in, she brings us tea. She stays overnight to “protect” us. She locks the door for us and lets us in when we come back. It is like nothing I have ever experienced. Just a quick not about the bathroom though… My bathroom is the only one with out a Western shower. It has a shower head coming out of the wall right next to the toilet. No tub, no shower floor, no curtain… oh well, I can handle that. Especially after what happened at lunch…

(I want my parents and husband to pay close attention here) We were sitting around a large table with very important people. Directors of CCAA (China Center for Adoption Affairs) Government people. Respected people. And I am faced with my first authentic meal. They start putting little bowls on the table and we spin it around to each take some. I did not even try the chop sticks even after a lesson from my kind translator Jesse. (I have a problem in my brain that does not allow my brain to tell my middle finger to do what it needs to do to “chop”) So I am eating some chicken (cold) and veggies (cold) and then the soup is served. Thank goodness I am told it is fish intestine soup. I just have some broth. Then more food is served. I try it all, and am a little grossed out by the deep fried chicken tendons (ok, more than a little grossed out, but I ate them, rather I chewed and chewed and chewed and chewed and chewed and finally gave up an swallowed them). I finally found something normal that I like so I took some and it came around again so I took some more. It was like a shredded beef, spicy, so I ask Jesse as I pop another in my mouth “What is this?” She replies “I don’t think you want to know” I consider this and wonder if ignorance is bliss, but I tell myself, I like it so what does it matter, I can handle the truth. Well the truth is, it is ox stomach. I smiled, choked down my last bit and though, well at least this will be a good story for years to come…I ATE OX STOMACH! AND I LIKED IT!

Well now it is nap time, I am sitting on my veranda writing and will read for a bit before we go back to work. Ahhhh, I love China

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh sarah, you're amazing. i don't think i could have eaten a thing!
take care.